I have heard some people swear by Boss and Digitech effects! I just wanted to know which kinds of effects I should start out with. If you could tell me types and companies that are the best, that would be awesome! Please include as much detail as possible!
Guitars

Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic
Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster

Amps
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Music translates into life, and life into music!
hmmm...

its a good question really. i personally dont have a favored company, but every guitarist should at least have a distortion pedal.

i also have a wah pedal, which is good if you want to vary your playing more.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It all depends on what style of music you like to play. The pedals you choose to use help you develop your own sound.

Cheers!

Go Leafs Go!!

Next season anyway
Well, the effects on your Vox are a good representation of common effects in rock.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I don't use any effects, and I'm fine.

But generally, what most guitarists have is:
-A gain pedal (overdrive, boost, distortion, fuzz)
-A modulation pedal (chorus, delay, phaser, flanger)
-A wah-wah pedal (wah, wah, envelope filter, or wah)

If you look at several famous set ups, the pedals they stomp on the most are the ones I mentioned.
First of all good distortion pedal,i have a Boss ds-1 and i love it...i wouldnt buy Digitech because they dont have a gain knob (the amount of distortion)...if you want a grungy and dirty distortion buy Ds-1 or Ds-2 if you want distortion made for metal buy Boss MT-2 Metal Zone if you want a bluesy sound buy and overdrive pedal like Boss OS-1 OS-2 OS-3...if youre low in budget buy FAB distortion...theyre cheap and well prety nice...you can play with them untill you save some money for a good pedal

Then a chorus and a wah...and the rest is thing of personal choice...i cant say anything about wah and chorus because i havent tried any of them and im saving for a procesor
your amp can cover over half the effects you really need
Quote by DunlopGuy
I...don't...get...this...thre (brain explodes)

Quote by glib homunculus
I make love to cheesecake.

Quote by TheGreatLSD

+1

And IMO there is no such thing as essential effects. I suggest playing around with the effects on the vox until you get a good grasp of what each effect does and which you want and which you don't. After that, get a good pedal of each you want (i don't consider neither boss nor digitech "good" on most cases).
I would have to say the most important effect is the volume knob on your guitar. If you set up your rig properly, you can use the volume knob to go from clean to mid-gain to crunch to lead just by turning up.

Other than that, wah if you use it, distortion if you need it and delay. I can't live without a 420ms delay set for at least 6 repeats and a 25% mix.
The effect every guitarist needs is good tone.

Which comes from a better amp.

But, on a general thought, a wah is, arguably, the most creative and enjoyable effects pedal around.
Quote by TheGreatLSD

I guess the only thing that sucks is that my amp doesn't have distortion, or does it? I am new to using this amp and find it hard to manipulate. Is there a good pedal for better "cleans"?
Guitars

Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic

Amps
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Quote by Journey....
I guess the only thing that sucks is that my amp doesn't have distortion, or does it? I am new to using this amp and find it hard to manipulate. Is there a good pedal for better "cleans"?
Sure it has distortion. They're on the amp models - select them and turn up the gain control. Or whatever is used instead of it on that channel, some of them switch the controls around AFAIK.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Don_Humpador
The effect every guitarist needs is good tone.

Which comes from a better amp.

But, on a general thought, a wah is, arguably, the most creative and enjoyable effects pedal around.

Are you saying that my amp isn't good enough?
Guitars

Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic

Amps
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Listen to the genres you play and listen to your favorite artists. That'll help you find effects you might wanna use.

Then you can go to a guitar shop and play around with different pedals, and find one that sounds good to you. There's no real "essential" pedal for anyone. It's dictated by style.

And +1 to those who mentioned good tone. They're right on!
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Theres no "essential" pedals but for companies I would look into Electro Harmonix, Visual Sound, and maybe SOME Boss.

Depending on your music style a Distortion/OD pedal will be of use. As well as a Wah.

Some extra *goodies* could be a compressor, equalizer, CHORUS, phaser/flanger, delay <--big one, looper...and tons of other weirdo sounding stuff . ^^
No-one really needs any effects, as long as you have a good amp. Sure, effects are a good way to spice up your playing, but you don't need them for your basic tone (provided your basic tone doesn't include delay or fuzz etc).
Go screw around with your amp and you'll find most of the stuff you'll ever need.
Effects any guitarists should have imo:

Distortion (duh) - I recommend Pro Co Rat, Marshall Jackhammer, Zvex, and Big Muffs.
Compressor - Keeley Compressor, or MXR Dyna Comp
Delay - Boss DD-6, DD-20, or Akai Headrush
Phaser and/or Wah - Small Stone (Phaser), Vox, or Budda (Wah)

That's about it really. Suggestions are just silly but let me say this: Boss > Digitech at everything except pitch-shifters (the Whammy, which it beaten again by the Electro-Harmonix POG but anyway...)
Last edited by RadioMuse at Aug 17, 2007,
A good delay = tons of fun. Level= 5, Feedback=10, delay time= max. Play something, let it repeat, play something over that ect, then turn the delay times around and 'lol' at the noises. Then get annoyed that you can't do this in a gig unless you have 2.

I've never needed a wah for some reason. maybe it's because I've never used a good one, just the one in my crappy Zoom multieffects box..
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
Your valvetronix is a great, versatile amp that models many popular amps & effects. Unless you have a very specific sound that you need to hit exactly (eg Hendrix-y wah, Edge-y delay, etc) you really don't need effects pedals right now.

If you would like a distorted sound, try using one of the high-gain amp models on your Vox -- you probably won't even need to turn up your gain knob much!

have fun tweaking your dials ...
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
I think just about everyone could use a little reverb...

I have no reverb

Start playing guitar in a cave.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I'm buying a mesa boogie dual rectifier and a TC Electronics G- major. Do you think i can get a nice, warm solo sound? With a softer tone?

Anyway, i will try them before i buy them.

Cheers
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
I think just about everyone could use a little reverb...

I have no reverb

I can't find any use for reverb when playing 'live', it makes it sound way too muddy with the rooms natural reverb aswell. Use delay for your ambience! <delay fanatic
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
i'm just a beginner so a distortion pedal n a wah satisfied my need.
i did use the reverb on my starter amp tho.
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
Wah and distortion are pretty good choices if you're new to effects.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
What multi-effects unit would you recommend?
Fender Fat Strat (MZ)
Fender Telecaster (Z)
Ibanez SZR720
Takamine EG540C
Fender P-Bass

Boss CE-20, DD-6, DS-1, RC-20XL, TU-2

Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Vox VT100 Amp
Ashdown Engineering Bass Amp
you need a zoom g3 pedal for $100 and a wah pedal and thats really it....
the g3 does EVERYTHING!!!!!, and the wah helps with your licks and solo when they get too much treble or too much bass
There are no essential effects for anything. Effects are tools to change you tone.

Example if your a Lead player you probably need a boost for solos so an OD would be appropriate. To give your solos an added flavor you will priobably get a solo and a reverb or chorus might be good for giving you more of a liquidy feeling for soloing. If you like delay then get delay.

So there are no essentials only effects you would like to use. If you have an OD, wah pedal and a G-major you probably wont need anything else effect wise. Because it covers everything.

So its all based of what you need there are no essentials
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Example if your a Lead player you probably need a boost for solos so an OD would be appropriate.

Very good point! Many guitarists want some sort of boost to make their solo's stand out a bit. Of course this could also be done with the controls on the guitar, but not as extreme.