Can you guys please explain to my friend why he SHOULDN'T get an MG at any cost? I can't convince him.
Guitars :
Fender American Stratocaster
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
Yeah but I know he'll regret it.
Guitars :
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
Let him get what he wants. He'll be the one that is disappointed, not you. Unless your in a band with him. Then your both fugged.
Nikolas
no one starts off with a mesa boggie mark IV to start off with. He has to figure out what he likes and that means starting off with crummy solid state amps to see what kind of sound he can get.
well we do make videos playing along to a backing track.
Guitars :
Jackson RR3
Ibanez S470
Epiphone Les Paul
Because it's le pewp.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Why will he regret it? Because a bunch of thirteen year olds on the internet say they suck? Have you ever tried one? Has he?
I don't understand why anyone would buy something they haven't tried, and if he's tried it and likes it, then whats wrong with it?
first, this belongs in guitar gear and accesorcies...second if you cant convince him thats his deal...but if he plays more than one amp at the store i dont see any way in hell how he could prefer the marshall mg to pretty much anything else there, with some small room for exception.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
at least get to buy a valvetronix or a crate. at least they're better then tha MG
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
What model is he getting ?

I have a 100DFX and I absolutely love it. I recorded an album with it. Check out the myspace link in my sig to hear the tone.

However, I have played a few of the lower 'practice amp' models and agree that they sound pretty terrible.

The only issue I have with my 100DFX is that the fan is loud. But if you're playing through a 100W amp you're not going to hear the fan.
tell him to look into roland cubes i have a 5 watt travel cube that cost me 70 quid and its THE best practice amp ive played, just get him to find one of these and play it (maybe a bigger wattage) and he will realise the error of his ways.
MGs actually suck. I didnt beleive the hate until i tried a MG10, an MG30, and a MG100 stack. THey all suck, although the 30s effects are pretty cool. THey sound horrible. I ran my Vox through the 100s cab, ooo it sounded so bad the speakers in the cab are crap.

I started off with a Kustom KGA10. thats actually quite the little metal amp for the price. i hear the Rolands are good, and of course Voxs are awesome.
The half-stack is pretty nice. Sure, it's no Mesa, but it's decent.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
1. Made in Indonesia (bad quality)

Why would you ever consider buying something made by Indonesian Slave children... it''s practically a third world country. Get something made in UK or America like true World Class guitar amps

2. Solid state, there's no tubes to drive like True Marshalls

Do you know how all the classic 70's era rockers always talk about how they had to crank their amps to get that "holy grail" of rock tone...

Well with SS amps the louder you crank it the worse it gets, they're only sound good when you play them quiet...

+ tube amps are twice as loud as SS amps. That means a 100 watt SS amp is closer in volume to the 20-30 watt tube amps.

3. Why spend 500 dollars on this crap when you can get something a lot better.

600 USD used 5150 combo. Van Halen anyone?
600 USD Classic 30 or Peavey Delta Blues (30 watt tube amps. Perfect for rock)
300-500 USD Vox Valvetronix. Has a preamp tube to make it sound better + better effects
350 USD Roland Cube. SS amp yes but better quality for a less price then MG.

Theres also dozens of other really good tube amp combos around for about the same price as MG... just do a musicians friend search

Conclusion:

so pretty much in the end the Marshall MG is overpriced. You're pretty much buying a 400 dollar discount half stack with a 100 dollar Marshall Face logo.

If you're trying to impress beginner guitarists who don't know anybetter then sure... why not. but if you're trying to get the most bang for the buck sound quality wise then get something a lot better.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
This makes me happy I have a 50 watt Vox Valvetronix
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Tell him he should try other amps before he buys it. Tell him to try a Roland Cube and a Vox Valvetronic, and not think about the brand, just hear the tone.

If that doesn't work, steal his wallet.
They are decent practice amps, i got mine for $214 Canadian and its 30 watts. Sounds nice, doesnt crap out (much ) its got a cd input for jamming with other people or cd's and its plenty loud enuf for the house. Its when you get a gig that you want to buy a higher quality amp. They were never meant to be amazing quality, thats taken by mesa boogie, they are decent quality budget amps.

I dont understand why UG hates that fact >_<
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
They are rather pricey for what they are and they sound kinda lame.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I have one it's OK, but my mates Vox does sound nicer. His Vox has a nicer sound more warm and vintage. The distortion on MGs does sound pretty harsh and can sound a lot like some bees when you crank it.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by garett
What model is he getting ?

I have a 100DFX and I absolutely love it. I recorded an album with it. Check out the myspace link in my sig to hear the tone.

However, I have played a few of the lower 'practice amp' models and agree that they sound pretty terrible.

The only issue I have with my 100DFX is that the fan is loud. But if you're playing through a 100W amp you're not going to hear the fan.

After hearing your recordings I am convinced that the MG sounds fine.
And after hearing my AVT live in a club, that it sounds fine as well.

Good stuff btw.
It's all in the player and the player's ear to get the best tone.
Ive played many amps at the guitar store i have down the road from me. I pretty much live in there. I can honestly say that the best sounding amp I played was a Marshall MG. Yes the MG 15 is crap, but the MG 30 has the clearest most versitle tone I have ever played. Theres a rumor that MGs buzz, but thats all it really is, a rumor. You're just the dumbass who believed it without actually playing one yourself.

I dont mind though, dont play an MG. More for me.
Quote by 742627000017
If hes buying Mg 15 delete his memory ...if hes buyng mg 250 or 100 say go for it

250 is awsome I like the tone i get from mine, and effects ^.^ ahah
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Last edited by Scrubs at Aug 17, 2007,
Quote by absinthe5765
Ive played many amps at the guitar store i have down the road from me. I pretty much live in there. I can honestly say that the best sounding amp I played was a Marshall MG. Yes the MG 15 is crap, but the MG 30 has the clearest most versitle tone I have ever played. Theres a rumor that MGs buzz, but thats all it really is, a rumor. You're just the dumbass who believed it without actually playing one yourself.

I have the Marshall MGDFX30 and it does buzz when you turn it up really loud, but that's only if your not playing anything so it doesn't really matter. It's not a complete **** amp it's just not great and not what you'd expect from Marshall the solid state makes dull but it works I guess.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by nodtomc
Can you guys please explain to my friend why he SHOULDN'T get an MG at any cost? I can't convince him.

Get him to PLAY one.

He'll see pretty soon.

Quote by absinthe5765

You are lying.

Either that or the other amps they have are made of tin foil and use toilet roll tubes for speaker cones.

Tone is pretty subjective, but saying a 30 watt MG has a clear versatile tone, the best you've heard, is a plain lie.
Last edited by Vermintide at Aug 17, 2007,
Quote by Vermintide
You are lying.

Either that or the other amps they have are made of tin foil and use toilet roll tubes for speaker cones.

Tone is pretty subjective, but saying a 30 watt MG has a clear versatile tone, the best you've heard, is a plain lie.

Give him a break - he's from Spencerport
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
If you look up 'awesome' in the dictionary, there's a picture of a Marshall MG, with the words "awesome looks nothing like this" underneath.
I own one, so I know.
I have one, an MG30DFX. It's absolute garbage. If you put the volume up more than 1/8th (yes, 1/8th of the total volume) it will sound way too bassy. The only way I can get a decent tone is by hooking up my Boss MD-2 pedal. A $100 pedal > $300 MG.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Last edited by TechnicolorBoy at Aug 17, 2007,
Quote by MightyAl
If you look up 'awesome' in the dictionary, there's a picture of a Marshall MG, with the words "awesome looks nothing like this" underneath.
I own one, so I know.

I really need to get ahold of one of this dictionaries with pictures I keep hearing about
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
I really need to get ahold of one of this dictionaries with pictures I keep hearing about

Haven't you ever had one?

Illustrated dictionaries are great.

I had a great one when I was a kid.

To my great disapointment, it didn't have "vagina" in.
Quote by Bazilisck311

I just drew in the ones they had at school.
If it's his first amp let him get it.

If not then tell him you'll piss on it if he gets it.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Quote by Vermintide
Haven't you ever had one?

Illustrated dictionaries are great.

I had a great one when I was a kid.

To my great disapointment, it didn't have "vagina" in.

Unfortunately, the dictonaries in my youth made the fatal mistake of being flammable.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
i have a 30 DFX MG and i can say the clean channel is fine. Lathough when you turn it onto distortion its a different story- well its absolute crap. It also buzzes all the time which is also very annoying.

when i bought it i thought hey omgz i got a marhsall it must be amazing but this is seriously a crap amp. at school when i play on the small what you think would be crappy amps they actually sound amazing compared to my marshall.

so tell your friend not to buy one or he WILL regret it.