When I first bought my Seagull, I knew I had to change the strings, so I bought a pack of Elixir nanoweb lights. I put them on and realized I hated the tone, but I kept them on until they wore out so I could get my money's worth. Then I finally threw some flat tops (D'Addario) on them, which were also lights. Within a day, the relief on my neck went REALLY screwy (at least off by two millimeters), and I had to adjust my truss rod.

Bottom line, don't think that Elixir gauges act the same as other strings. Personally, I don't like them, and won't use them again, but if you do, you might want to have your truss rod adjusted. I shudder to think what their extra lights are like.
Well, thats what you get for putting strings on a bird, poor thing, it's neck must have hurt for ages!.
Quote by CraigKing
Well, thats what you get for putting strings on a bird, poor thing, it's neck must have hurt for ages!.

lol
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Ha ha no
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
Elixirs are definetly my preffered strings.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
That's odd, because I've tried out many different brands/compositions of strings, and always come back to the Elixers. My neck relief is right where it was when I bought the guitar. And when I did my saddle swap over to bone, the action remains the same as it ever was too. Are you thinking that Elixers are pulling too hard on the neck, giving an excess of relief, or not enough, letting the neck back-bow?
I'm guessing the Seagull is a mahogany back and sides in which case you need to be using Phosphor Bronze strings on it. If the ones that came with it are PB then you need to keep using them. I prefer Martin MSP2000 phosphor bronze strings (Martin Marquis). I've had better luck with them than other brands and the tone is very good. I have to order them on Musicians Friend so I buy 5 or 6 sets at a time. Also change them frequently, say at least once per month. I get unhappy with my strings usually after two weeks.
I use Elixir Nanowebs on my 1972 Yamaha FG-150, they are 10s and I love them. Still sound crisp now, after being on and played hard for a good few months. Action and whatnot is fine on it.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by LeftyDave
Are you thinking that Elixers are pulling too hard on the neck, giving an excess of relief, or not enough, letting the neck back-bow?

Giving an excess of relief. They have about as much tension as extra light Silk & Steels.
Quote by Guitar Hack
I'm guessing the Seagull is a mahogany back and sides in which case you need to be using Phosphor Bronze strings on it.

No, it's cherry/maple laminate back and sides.
Quote by Guitar Hack
I'm guessing the Seagull is a mahogany back and sides in which case you need to be using Phosphor Bronze strings on it. If the ones that came with it are PB then you need to keep using them. I prefer Martin MSP2000 phosphor bronze strings (Martin Marquis). I've had better luck with them than other brands and the tone is very good. I have to order them on Musicians Friend so I buy 5 or 6 sets at a time. Also change them frequently, say at least once per month. I get unhappy with my strings usually after two weeks.

That could quite possibly be the most inaccurate and hilarious thing I've ever heard. If a guitar came with rusy strings, would you only use rusty ones from then on?
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
You can use whatever strings you want, as long as you don't change gauge (which then you have to get the truss rod adjusted) correct?
Quote by Made Of Metal
That could quite possibly be the most inaccurate and hilarious thing I've ever heard. If a guitar came with rusy strings, would you only use rusty ones from then on?

I kinda see where he is coming from actually, so it isn't all hilarous and inaccurate.

Phosphor bronze strings have a different tone to 80/20 bronze strings, IIRC 80/20 are brighter than phosphor bronze, and so 80/20 on a guitar with a mahogany back and sides would lead to a very bright and snappy sounding acoustic, whereas using PB ones would lead to a richer sound. Of course, it is all open to preference (I use 80/20 Elixir Nanowebs on a guitar with mahogany back and sides to give me a bright and defined sound), but PBs are probably more at home on a guitar with mahogany back and sides, and 80/20 on a guitar with rosewood back and sides.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Yeah, I understand where he's coming from, but it all boils down to preference.
Not all guitars are created equal, nor are guitar strings. You just have to experiment to find that perfect marriage of strings and guitar. That experience alone is worth the trouble of figuring it out. You'll learn a lot along the way. I know I did.
I tend to buy the strings i can get for 10 packs for under $40 & if they sound a little muddy or too bright i learn a method of playing so they sound ok. I bought 5 sets that had the overwinding on the "D" string joined just before the nut (mabye 1/8") fretboard side ,no not on the headstock side of the nut. so it made the "D" string virtually unplayable , It sounded like you had a nut buzz no matter what you did. Otherwise im quite happy playing cheaper strings. After trying quite a few higer price brands, found them to be not that much better that i would constantly spend 3 to 4 times the price im now paying, & for some reason the better brands seem to last not as long as the cheapies , this is the experiance that i've had.

Now if i could buy pink strings or some other neat color i would pay $20 a set LOL

Oh the strings that had the joined overwinding , instead of throwing them out i used the "G" "B" "e" as flap/airleron actuators in model aeroplanes. "waste not want not" my mum used to say LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Aug 19, 2007,