UG Members,

I am looking to purchase a new tube head, and I already have a 2x12 Carr closed back cab [with eminence Cannabis Rex speakers] rated at 100w. I am currently running it through my Music Man 50RD however since it's basically a Fender amp it simply can't produce the nice tones of heavier styles of music, and I am becoming more aware that my processor can't compare to a nice tube amp either.

I like everything from Led Zeppelin to Limp Bizcut however my favorite style is alternative/hard rock [like Shinedown or Creed].
I'm looking to spend anywhere from 0-$800 possibly more if it a really thought it was worth it. Less than $800 would really make me happy, but I know you get what you pay for. I am looking towards used because I could definately get more for my money that way.

I really don't think I need anything greater than 50w (tube) because I hardly crank my current 50w amp now. So basically about 50w is what I want, loud enough to gig, but I'm not trying to power a full stack here. I'm open to just about any brand as long as it's tube, will give me good tones, is in my price range, and fits my style. Also I'm not looking for a lot of effects, just good distortion and maybe some reverb.

Brands I am considering but don't know if they fit the tones I am looking for are:
Orange (used definately)
Mesa (used definately)
Crate
B-52
Marshall (used definately)

I'm thinking the B-52 might be worth a try but no one really says how they stand up to a Marshall JCM or Mesa Recto and I'm unsure how good the Crate's gain is.

Thanks for your time,

FrenchBread147

If it helps current gear is:
Limited Edition Epi Les Paul Studio [basically a Gibson now]
Carr 2x12 [closed back Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers 100w 8Ohms]
Music Man 50RD
Yamaha DG Stomp Processor

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
a mesa single recto can definitely be had for around $800 and fits your bill pretty well.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
I'd look into Peavey and B-52, I like both of them. But I have a MusicMan 65' Reverb with the matching cab, and can get anything out of it, hard rock, blues, punk, metal, anything you can think of. Just play with your knobs and stuff, I'm sure you'll find a good setting, if you do get a diffent amp though, I'd be willing to buy yours off of you if you no longer want it.

BTW, how much did you get your musicman for and what year is it from?
ESP/ltd EC-1000 snow white
ESP/ltd MH-1000NT See Through Blue
Peavey 6505+
Mesa traditional 4x12 (x pattern 2 v30's and 2 g12h30's)
ISP decimator/Tc Electronics Polytune/Ts9 Tubescreamer

Check out my band! www.facebook.com/blackentheskyline
You should be able to find a Mesa Recto-Verb head for around that price. Its a all tube 50w Single Rectifier with reverb. It is also very versatile. Youve got 5 different modes on two channels. The 1st channel is the clean channel with a clean mode and a pushed mode. On the 2nd channel is where your heavier gain comes in you have a raw mode, vintage mode, and a modern mode. You should definitley be able to get anything from led zeppelin to limp bizcut with it.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
Quote by soundnin
a mesa single recto can definitely be had for around $800 and fits your bill pretty well.

You know I've been thinking about this exact amp, especially sine in the on going mesa vs. marshall thread a lot of people say how most of the Mesa's can pull Marshall tones and then some. But on ebay they still seem to go for $1000, but maybe it's worth saving for.
So you recommend the single recto over their other heads?
Quote by guitarman1507
I'd look into Peavey and B-52, I like both of them. But I have a MusicMan 65' Reverb with the matching cab, and can get anything out of it, hard rock, blues, punk, metal, anything you can think of. Just play with your knobs and stuff, I'm sure you'll find a good setting, if you do get a diffent amp though, I'd be willing to buy yours off of you if you no longer want it.

BTW, how much did you get your musicman for and what year is it from?

How do you think the B-52 stands up to the likes of Marshall/Mesa?

My Music Man I think is in the early 80's? I purchased it for $220 and it looks like it wasn't used much at all. Its a confusing little bugger considering it only has 3 tubes. I think it's a great amp, but once you go above 6 on the gain the distortion becomes less and less pleasing. But if you like cleans or medium gain i think it sounds awesome. I'm just looking for a bit more.
Quote by PreventThis
You should be able to find a Mesa Recto-Verb head for around that price.

So it's called a "Recto-Verb" sounds good to me. The question is how much do they run used?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
You should be able to find a used Mesa F50 within your budget, too.

On the cheap, you could look for old Traynors on eBay. Some great classic rock amps that were absolutely built like tanks.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
spend more, its worth it, ENGL FIREBALL
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by slatsmania
You should be able to find a used Mesa F50 within your budget, too.

On the cheap, you could look for old Traynors on eBay. Some great classic rock amps that were absolutely built like tanks.

*drool* I want a YBA-4 or something. Some of the old Traynors are said to sound like a mix of Fender Bassmans and Marshall JTMs.

Look on craigslist, in your local area. It's amazing what people toss up for sale.
Quote by FrenchBread

So it's called a "Recto-Verb" sounds good to me. The question is how much do they run used?

Well the combos go anywhere from 800-1000 so I would think that you could get a head cheaper. If you have a guitar center look around for one. Also check on ebay but be cautious if you plan on buying from there.
My SoundClick

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
Quote by FrenchBread
You know I've been thinking about this exact amp, especially sine in the on going mesa vs. marshall thread a lot of people say how most of the Mesa's can pull Marshall tones and then some. But on ebay they still seem to go for $1000, but maybe it's worth saving for.
So you recommend the single recto over their other heads?

craigslist is your friend here. if you dedicate some time to looking and keeping an eye out for deals, you can find single rectos for $800 fairly easily. i saw a rectoverb head a couple months back on my local craigslist go for $750. it was sold in just a few days. so the going price should be a bit higher than that.

i don't know personally if the single recto (/rectoverb) can pull off marshall tones (never tried since i'm a fan of that classic mesa tone), but it does help that you can swap in/out el34's or 6l6's with just the flip of a switch. so the versatility is definitely there. the two types of power tubes really give the amp a completely different sound. also, vintage VS modern mode on channel two... i'm back and forth between the two because again, the sound is just completely different. currently i'm in love with the modern mode
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
Last edited by soundnin at Aug 17, 2007,
Thanks to all who replied.

So over all everyone thinks that it's better to go with a used Mesa than a used Marshall?
And again if anyone knows how the B-52 or Crate Palomino stands up to these I'd be interested to hear.
And what about the F50, is the Rectoverb a better choice?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Aug 17, 2007,
Peavey 5150 Combo

B-52 AT

Mesa F-50
Mesa DC-5
Mesa Studio .22 (not sure how many watts that one is, but it sounds nice haha)
Mesa Single Recto
Mesa Mark III

The F-50 blows away the Rect-O-Verb, at least to me, I really don't like the sound off the Rectos, the F series sounds much better to me and more deffined.

I honestly am not a fan of Marshalls for the kind of stuff you play, so yes, go for Mesa over the Marshall if you can.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
B52's are good budget amps but do not compare with Marshalls or Mesas. Two different classes of amps.
Im not a fan of Marshalls so I would go with a Mesa. And a B52 is a budget version of a Mesa. The Crate Palomino is also a budget amp compared to a Mesa or a Marshall. Personally I think the Recto-Verb is better than the F-50 but either way they are both great amps. Check them both out and see which sounds the best to you because your the one who is going to have the final decision.
My SoundClick

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
look on ebay for marshall JCM800's. i look almost everyday and find great deals everytime.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Well i figured if i'm gonna go for the JCM800, i might as well get the JCM900 right? But the still seem to go for about $1000 used unless they are not in good condition.

Quote by -heartbreaker-
Marshall DSL50

doesn't that cost more, whats the difference vs. JCM's? i need more info.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.