I'm getting a Firewire 410 for my birthday, and I'll be using a preamp as well to ensure the signals going into the Firewire are powerful. However, I've been advised to get a power amp or some active speakers. Why is this and is it vitally necessary?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
I was advised to get a power amp OR active speakers, hope that clears it up.

All I need to know is: is it necessary for me to have good recordings, or will it just make playing them back during the recording process easier?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
Well active speakers are monitors, aren't they?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
Okay,

Firewire 410 is a digital audio interface. It converts the audio signal coming into it to a digital signal to send it into the comp for processing.
It is a preamp in a way. You don't need an external pre-amp to ensure the signal going into it is powerful enough cuz the Firewire 410 has a mic input, a line input, a gain control for both the inputs, a switch for phantom power. How different is it from your pre-amp!!
You dont need a pre-amp to use with Firewire 410.

You'll need active speakers to use with Firewire 410 cuz it doesn't amplify the signal coming out of it.
Active speakers are speakers with built-in amplifiers so you don't need a pre-amp. They need to be plugged into a power supply to work.
Now days most speakers you get are active anyway.

Monitoring speakers are just speaks with a really detailed sound reproduction. Monitoring speakers are just speakers. Good ones will cost you around $1000 a pair.
But at the ed of the day, they're just speakers.
It doesn't matter if they're active or passive. They just need to be able to produce really detailed and accurate sound from the track. As most people are not producers or sound-engineers, they can't really make a difference between the sound of a $1000 speakers and the sound of a $300 speakers.

So you don't need to buy those really expensive €1600 a pair Dyne Audio studio monitoring speakers (which are the ideal ones for a descent studio) until you have trained your ears to recognize the little details in tracks and pick out stuff from the track that only sound-engineers and producers can.
OK thankyou. So the signal going out of the Firewire 410 will be powerful enough to record at a good volume?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

i dunno about the rest
Yup. Thats what you've got the gain knob for. To adjust the power of the signal going into the comp.
I've got an M-Audio FW Solo.
For me to record my guitar plugged straight into the interface, i don't even need to bring the gain half way up to get a good signal into my comp.

For recording what you're looking for is an input signal at around -3db on the level monitor.
If the level touches 0db or goes above 0db, you'll get clipping and distortion which is one thing you don't want!!

Though the signal coming out of it (the FW410 outputs) will not be powerful enough to power passive speakers.
You'ld need a pre amp or a set of active speakers for that.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Aug 18, 2007,