Hey guys, I am not only new to UG but I am new to playing the bass also. I started playing about a month ago just as a little 'side' hobby but I didn't know how addicting it is ! I have been practicing for about an average of 3-4 hours a night, sometime staying up until 2-3am. I have an issue though. When I started I was just looking at tabs because that is the 'easy' way to learn a song, does anyone have any recommendations for books or areas of UG that have info on learning to read the sheet music part of the bass? Since I have started playing I don't want to be just a walking bass juke box, I really want to learn how to play and maybe make a few things of my own. Any info would be appreciated. And by the way....Ultimate-Guitar.com ROCKS!
Quote by BigMack
Ultimate-Guitar.com ROCKS!

Indeed

I don't think there's much about reading sheet music on UG, but I dunno. I wouldn't suggest learning about the more technical stuff straight away though, since you'll want to master the basics e.g. phrasing etc. first.
Quote by someguitarguy88
Yeah i figured out i had herpes thanks to wikipedia!
Hey, welcome mate
Great attitude you got there, theory is really useful when you got it down (I used to play Sax but have forgotten most of it learning again) Tabs are great for awhile but then you need something more to kindof advance IMO.
I know that I am new to the bass, but I got on Ebay last night and bought a Guitar too (so those lessons will come in handy for sure real soon)! It's just so addictive and fun. I can't help it....its like drugs all over again.
Welcome to UG, buddy.

I'd suggest, if nothing else, try asking in the bass forum, to learn more about the instrument, and maybe try the musician talk forum for more info on sheet music.

Bass forum: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Musician Talk forum: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=10&f=8

Glad to have you aboard.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by GiantRaven
Wtf is a fng?

Fucking New Guy, used a lot by the marines in the Vietnam war I think.
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Fucking New Guy, used a lot by the marines in the Vietnam war I think.

That was very informative for a UG pit dweller. I learnt something new
Quote by someguitarguy88
Quote by Truism
That was very informative for a UG pit dweller. I learnt something new

Only cos I played Vietcong extensively
Knowledge is power!
Thanks for the info.

PS. You gotta love the quote in Truism's sig...originally quoted by The Casualty....That hilarious!!!
I reccomend downloading Guitar Pro 5 and just learn songs. Play them on 50% speed until you can do that without problems, then go to 75% and then to 100%. The theory can wait - if you're interested in learning to write songs quickly, the best way is simply to pick up a guitar and learn a lot of chord songs and try to experiment creating new chords, you'll really be more flexible if you get some experience before actually getting into the rules. If you're just interested in writing bass riffs, then that'll come along even easier as you learn songs.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by BigMack
PS. You gotta love the quote in Truism's sig...originally quoted by The Casualty....That hilarious!!!
Too good not to sig imo. I don't even know if he was being serious.
Quote by someguitarguy88