I know this should probably be in the electric guitar forum, but I'm leaving to the store pretty shortly so I wanted some more replies a little quicker.

I'm planning to get some heavier gauge strings (I usually use the normal .10's) but wanted to know the relative difference between them and other strings. I usually play tuned two steps down, but would like to be able to tune back up to standard and have a clean tone that doesn't completely suck. I've never played very long on anything that didn't have normal gauge strings, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on it.
"Some of these lyrics are pure black metal nonsense."
i have d'addario 11's for D and drop C and my cleans suck in standard.. you're ****ed.
ernie ball skinny top ,heavy bottom.....the low strings are pretty thick...and the bottoms ones are nice and skinny for soloing....
i recommend!
Quote by x Misanthropy x
ernie ball skinny top ,heavy bottom.....the low strings are pretty thick...and the bottoms ones are nice and skinny for soloing....
i recommend!

Those are the only strings my friend uses and he played in drop A for a while.....He plays in standard, srop tuning, down tunings and some weird ones and those strings work for him....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I use ernie ball heavys, 12s at the bottom and 10s at the top i think. I use them in standard and as far down as drop B.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
You played two steps down with 10s? Christ. Use 11s or 12s. Heavy strings don't make clean tones suck. They're actually better, in my opinion.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
DR's Dimebag series are great for low end bottoms, and good highs.

And, judging by my Dean Markley .10s, their heavy gauges should be GREAT.

And D'Addarios are good, but I always break a string quicker than all the rest. =/
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by x Misanthropy x
i recommend!

I use those, and I have yet to have a problem with down tuning. What I'm wondering is, are there any packs similar to this, but that have a thicker 3rd string? To me, there's too much difference in tone between the 3rd and 4th strings, especially when playing Cleans and stuff that uses arppegiated chords. If not, I'm sure I can buy a thicker string alone, but packs just make it easier.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
also, make sure that your guitar is set up for it, if you switch to a heavier gauge without adjusting your truss rod etc. then worst case scenario your neck might warp