Right now, I'm in to playing Metal and Metalcore songs from bands like Metallica, Trivium, and stuff like that. Now my question is, when I'm playing songs like Master of Puppets, I tend to use almost all downpicking. I'm not sure if it's right, because people on here say that downpicking's a beginner's technique and that people should learn to alternate/economy pick as quick as possible. I can alternate pick, but just not fast enough for songs like that, and it feels sort of weird to do it, since a lot of metalcore songs have you picking the low E string after like every note. So is it bad to downpick everything in these kinds of songs, and should I start alternate picking them, or is it alright to for it?
Thanks for your advice and your opinion.
ya...kirk and james downpick the whole song basically.
just preference..i use which ever one i feel like using at the time.
Alternate picking feels akward at first but once you get the hang of it it will be much faster than you can downpick.

And with metalcore riffage how its like chug chugga chug - tweedly deedle dee -
You learn when to use downpicking and alternate usually for the higher melodic bits.

But yes, basically what I'm trying to say is, learn alternate picking because eventually you're gonna need it so you may aswell start now.
Yes, MOP!!!!!!!!!! And trivium and Metallica shouldn't be in the same sentence lol woops, um.. I broke my own rule
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
yeah downpicking gives youa chunkier tone then alternate picking so for rhythm is usually preferred but dont do it for EVERYTHING
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Thanks for your advice everyone.
I'll start doing more alternate picking then.
Can someone give me some good exercises to practice alternate picking with?
It would be much appreciated
Master of Puppets - Mostly all downpicking so you should be fine, that's how I play it. As for exercices on alternate picking...I have one somewhere...http://www.audio-guitar-lessons.com/metal-guitar-lessons.html has some on alternate picking I think.
One Way Ticket To Hell

Gear

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
-Peavey Studio Pro 112
-DigiTech Grunge
-Zakk Wylde Wah
-DigiTech Whammy
-MXR 10-Band EQ

Future Purchases
-EMG's 81/85
-Cab
-Krankenstein Head
-ESP Eclipse II
a lot of metalcore songs have you picking the low E string after like every note.

In most cases, that's much, much easier to do with alternate picking. Either the pedal note (the low E note) or the melody note will be downstroke, and the other one will be the upstroke. An example:

A:---7---8---7---5h7p5/3~
E:-5---5---5---5-----------

In this simple made-up example (that probably sounds like poo, I dunno, I'm not near a guitar), you'd downstroke all the notes on the low E string and hit all the notes on the A string with the upstroke.

I find that it's more intuitive for me to play the note that falls on the beat with a downstroke, and then go from there. With triplet groupings, however, that means that every other triplet, you're going to start with an upstroke. You've just got to practice until you're comfortable starting a grouping with either a downstroke or an upstroke.

I'd recommend working on your alternate picking on one string before you go off and try to get it down while moving from string to string. Start with something like:

E:-4-4-4-4-6-6-7-7-6-6-4-4---2-2-2-2-4-4-9-9-7-7-2-2

Or something similar. Something that sticks with one string, and play a moving melody up and down the string, playing each note in groupings that are multiple of 2 like above. When you get this down, try going from eighth notes to sixteenth notes (double the number of notes you play per beat - slow down the beat if you need to, and gradually increase back up to the tempo you were working at before, but now with double the amount of notes in the same time, essentially double-speed).

When you get that down, start working on groupings of 3 notes per beat, which are triplet groupings. Keep in mind that this means that every other grouping will begin with an upstroke instead of a downstroke. This will feel weird, but you'll eventually be comfortable with it.

Once you have that down, start working on alternate picking across adjacent strings like the E and A strings. Most metalcore is chock full of this (which is why most of it sounds the same) but it's a very important technique to master. After that, start working on jumping strings, like alternate picking between the E and D strings, and after that, jump two strings, ie from E to G.

Just remember that in the end, it will significantly improve your speed and your rythmic accuracy. Perfect timing (which alas, I surely don't have) goes a LONG way to making you sounds better, and alternate picking helps this a great deal.

Good luck friend.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
@GMR5, thanks for the site for the exercises

@derek<3guitar, Wow, thanks for putting all that effort to write that for me, I really appreciate it. But I think some people are misunderstanding me, but that might be because I said it badly in my opening post. I CAN alternate pick, like I can play scales and stuff with alternate picking, but I just cant seem to do it with the melody and pedal notes, like derek<3guitar has put it. It just feels sort of awkward for me to put it in, and it feels slower. So anyways, thanks again for your help, I'll try to put alternate picking into more of my playing now
It's rough at first, but it will become second nature before you realize it. Just keep practicing and it will in the end be easier than all downstrokes, as well as much faster. Learning metalcore songs and forcing yourself to slowly alternate pick the kind of lines you're talking about will do the trick. Just start slow and steady, making sure to keep your strokes in time with the beat, and increase the tempo gradually.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
No problem. And as for with melody, just got to practice it slow at first and then gradually get to speed.
One Way Ticket To Hell

Gear

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
-Peavey Studio Pro 112
-DigiTech Grunge
-Zakk Wylde Wah
-DigiTech Whammy
-MXR 10-Band EQ

Future Purchases
-EMG's 81/85
-Cab