I don't know if this has been done before, but I was sitting around thinking about how much it would suck to have a totally sweet all-tube halfstack and never be able to crank it to the moon.

So I came up with this.
Staged power tubes.
Instead of firing up all of the tubes at once, fire them up individually using circuit cuts that remove tubes from the circuit or add them based on the level of the master volume control, or even cooler, a dial for tube usage.

Sonically, would this produce the same overall tone of a bunch of wide-open tubes at low volume or am I totally misunderstanding how the power stages of amplifiers work?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
no. Tubes work in conjunction with each other, and one tube cannot be omitted. The power tubes each have their different deeds.

buy a weber attenuator.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, that answers that...
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
No need for apologies. I just come up with weird ideas and thought I'd ask.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Peavey Valvekings attempt to accomplish "tube staging" by progressively subtracting the output of one half of the power tubes while the gain of the driver tube is slowly increased. The resulting conversion in its extreme position (texture knob all the way to the counterclockwise) enables the amp to respond as if it is a pure class a power amp. The idle tube still draws a nominal amount of current. It cuts the power output to 40% and increases even ordered harmonic distortion.
Ever heard of Vox amps? The AD30VT, 50 watt and 100 watt of this series all have adjustable output, so you can crank the tube and have the volume real low, which equals sweet overdriven sound. And i know what you mean by never being able to crank an amp. A friend of mine has an ancient Fender 4x10 cab and head, all tube, and has never put it above 3 because it is too dang loud.
oh, just a sidenote, the vox amps arent pure tube, they are hybrids, but it is the same idea that was stated earlier. Sorry for the double post