Hi,

I've seen a lot of bands (for example Metallica) using guitars in which they use a knob in the guitar to toggle the distortion. However, I don't have any knowledge on these type of guitars (or equipment). However, I might be interested in one.

How are these called? If it's only the guitar with some sort of amplifier, where can I get one? If there's additional equipment required, which might that be and where can I get it?

Thanks for your answers
Yeah its called a "tone" knob... you can change it to change the tone of the guitar... ALL electrics have them... you can buy aftermarket ones that increase the range of the tone sweep... but its not a magical "distortion" knob
Great Beowulf.

Do you know how I can do this with my guitar?
Quote by DWk
Great Beowulf.

Do you know how I can do this with my guitar?

Take your finger and turn it...

and note I wasn't trying to be condescending... but thats what it is, a tone knob.
Most likely just the wonderful use of a volume knob Roll back for cleans, turn it up for distortion (provided your amp is already overdriven/distorted).

I guess you could install some kind of od/boost or something in the guitar though.
Wouldnt a volume knob control how loud it was? I mean I may be a simpleton... but thats how it works on my guitar...
Not at all, I understand you're not being condescending (besides, I'm the one asking the question).

Well, see my tone knob doesn't precisely do that much - could there be a problem with it?
beowulf- roll back the volume on your guitar and you will notice a major change in sound.
The tone knob controls how much treble is getting through. The volume does control the volume, but when you roll off some you'll get less of a distorted tone and more of a clean tone. Try it out
Quote by ps349tvd
beowulf- roll back the volume on your guitar and you will notice a major change in sound.

Yes the sound goes away... its awesome... i can then make it come back... I RULE
Quote by FrozenSheep
You alos have the option of using ducktape to give it a more vintage look.

tooshay
Hardly any players use guitars with onboard distortion circuits...most will just be using the volume knob. The volume knob doesn't just make it quieter, what it actually does is decrease the guitar's output signal (which isn't actually sound at all). That means the amp (particularly a tube amp) is recieving a lower level of input and therefore it will be quielter but also less distroted. If you combine that with altering your picking dynamics you can go from quite distorted tones to decent clean ones without touching your amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Hardly any players use guitars with onboard distortion circuits...most will just be using the volume knob. The volume knob doesn't just make it quieter, what it actually does is decrease the guitar's output signal (which isn't actually sound at all). That means the amp (particularly a tube amp) is recieving a lower level of input and therefore it will be quielter but also less distroted. If you combine that with altering your picking dynamics you can go from quite distorted tones to decent clean ones without touching your amp.

+1

The volume knob is my best friend. I use that thing all the time.
That, and picking dynamics.
For ****'s sake.

It's the volume knob, and the fact they use badass tube amps. Lowering the volume means you aren't pushing the tubes as much, so there is less distortion.

If you are using SS gear, it won't work. Solid State amps just add distortion to your tone, so turning the volume doesn't do much on them.