with the strings? like say, take the low e string and file the spot where the low e string would go with the string? and about half the string has to stick out of the nut right?
Listen to CKY.
u need to be able to get the string in there well enough, so it doesnt stick, and toss ur guitar out of tune. so it doesnt create a buzz noise,
and so it doesnt jump out, when ur trying to play.

if u are SURE u want a larger cut. (a large cut will create fret buzz if u go back to smaller gauge)
if u are sure, u take a tooth pick. wrap it in fine sand paper and gently pass thru the cut a few times to make room. u NEED TO FILE UPWARDS.

the cut has an upwards slant from the headstock side to the board side.

if u flatten the cut ull, get buzz on the first frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Get a set of file files and do it bit by bit.
File a little check, file a little check.
It's better to take time checking rather than do to much and knack it up.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
i don't know. i'm afraid ill **** it up. is there a real big sound difference between 9 and 11 gauges?
Listen to CKY.
how do u know that the 11's dont fit. do u already have a set? usually a couple step ups will still fit.

and a set of files will cost a ton^^

and yes there is a big difference between the gauges, tone wise.^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
how do u know that the 11's dont fit. do u already have a set? usually a couple step ups will still fit.

and a set of files will cost a ton^^

and yes there is a big difference between the gauges, tone wise.^

yeah, I went from 10's to 12's and they're perfect (unfortunately the neck is now buzzy and won't stop no matter what I do...)
where does it buzz? what type of guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
where does it buzz? what type of guitar?

Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (don't be fooled by the fact that it's only 100 dollars...it pwns, AHAHA!!!)

I think it's being better about it, but it's at the bottom of the neck somewhere...I think the first or something fret...

I've tried doing the truss rod and raising the bridge but it doesn't work...
usually if it's buzz from a string vibrating on a fret, then an increase in string tension, like urs, would have bowed the neck MORE. so increasing string tension makes fretbuzz less likely.

it's possible that the string is rattling in the cut of the nut. or perhaps, the cut is now dug too deep and is letting the string rest on the board.
either way, ull want to look at the cuts in the nut.

if u can see exactly where the string is buzzing, i can help u get rid of it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well i went out and bought 10's. i like them much better than nines, from what strings i could play. i broke the .10 string stringing my guitar. i guess i would help if i knew the proper way to do it. do they sell sings .10 strings?
Listen to CKY.
if u dont know how to string a guitar then ask.
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html

if u want a loose string, most stores sell them for a dollar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62