Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a half stack pretty soon and I think I've found some good choices for a head because I know the sounds I want out of them. But with cabinets I'm kind of lost. One of my goals in having a 4x12 cab is that my sound will project further and can be heard more fully around a room or wherever I'm playing a gig. One of my turn offs to 1x12 combo's was that the sound stayed low to the ground where the amp was placed and in order to hear the richness of the sound you had to stay low to the ground which was not ideal. However, I do not have much experience with larger cabinets or speaker sets. Which is more important: cab or head? Can you get away with a mediocre cab if you have a decent head. Or do both really matter extremely? Also, can I get a nice full sound with a 2x12 (since it still has 2 speakers on the floor) or does only a 4x12 do that job? My range for a cabinet is around 200-300 but I may be willing to go a little higher. Thanks for your help in advance.
Quote by davey1212k
One of my turn offs to 1x12 combo's was that the sound stayed low to the ground where the amp was placed and in order to hear the richness of the sound you had to stay low to the ground which was not ideal.

They sell amp stands. They also sell chairs. Either way, you can lift your amp off the ground and get a noticable improvement in sound.

With a limited budget, you can get a significantly better combo amp than any sort of halfstack. And it sounds like you have a limited budget. $200-300 gets you a lower end 2x12, and nothing but absolute crap with four speakers.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
But could having a lower end 4x12 cabinet destroy my sound if I have a decent head? I mean, unless you are a horrible guitar player the sound coming out of that speaker can't be an atrocious sound. I know positive online reviews can be biased or want to sway the consumer into buying crap. But I can't imagine lower end equiment (cabinets in this place) be that bad (or as bad as I sometimes hear on UG) or otherwise they wouldn't sell it. It may not be ideal. But is buying a lower end 4x12 cab that stupid of a decision?
you could get a vertical 212 cab, or just put a normal one on it's side. also you can just tip a combo backwards (wedge something under the front) obviously not too much or the force of the speaker will tip it right over unless there is something behind it. this also helps project the sound
I'm not a fan of lifting them off the ground because you loose some of your bass response, but my 2x12 is angled slightly so at about 15 it sounds pretty good and the farther the better, so all you need is a 20ft cable.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.