I've been seriously working on learning and playing classical guitar for slightly over a year now, but I've only had a steal string accoustic to learn on. I feel like I've haven't made as much progress as I should and have stuggled the whole way. Of course this problem does mainly rest in my own skill and technique, but I can't help wondering if having a classical guitar might help me. Would the differences (nylon strings [so nice on the fingers!], wider frets, taller neck, larger space between strings, ect.) make learning classical guitar easier?
Malaguena, Cannon in D, Moonlight Sonata, and Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring are the songs that seem to be giving me the most trouble lately, if that information helps at all (I know, it's a pretty varied level of difficulty).
probably not significantly.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
I really doubt it, i have always found steel strings seriously easier to play. Also the larger space may slow you up. You may want to consider buying an electric guitar if you want easy playability.
cheers
Yes, if your interested in dedicating more into playing classical guitar.

I played a buddies classical guitar(i'm working on classical gas by the way) and i felt more in control of my finger picking. The spacing of the strings really makes a difference.

And a classical guitar will give you the tone and sound you probably want when playing some pieces.

Will it make it easier to learn to play classical pieces? I wouldn't say it will make learning the piece easier, but will probably make it easier to learn the techniques you will need.
epic7734
The reason you are struggling is because you are playing the wrong pieces. Go by Sor studies. carruli studies and carcassi studies. Those will make you improve.
Quote by confusius
The reason you are struggling is because you are playing the wrong pieces. Go by Sor studies. carruli studies and carcassi studies. Those will make you improve.

And of course Giuliani
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Steel Strings are seriously difficult when it comes to playing classical guitar. If you want to learn classical guitar then I highly recommend buying one. Trying to learn classical guitar techniques on a steel string is seriously frustrating. The wide neck allows for much easier finger picking, rest strokes, tremolos, rasguedos, and other classical guitar only techniques. Plus, if you play them right they sound absolutely beautiful.