i play piano, and i learnt how to play daughters by john mayer. now im tryin to put it on guitar, and i dunno the name of this chord. is the second chord in the song.

e| 2
B| 0
G| 1
D| 0
A| 0
E| x

edit: i dont think it is an Em7 like all of the tabs/chords say it is.

EDIT EDIT: my bad. its the 2nd chord in the chorus.
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Last edited by jeff541 at Aug 18, 2007,
Dude, I asked you to give some more information on the song, such as preceeding and succeeding chords, full progression or melody on top of the chord.

It's hard to give you a definitive name that isn't just a list of names it could be without this information.
ok. in my chorus of this song, here is what i have.

-----Em7---???--Gsus2/b---D/E
e|---2-------2-----3-----------2-----
B|---0-------0-----0-----------3----
G|---2-------1-----0-----------2---
D|---0-------0-----0-----------0----
A|---2-------0-----0-----------0----
E|-----------------3-----------0-----

I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
I'd go with Bm6/A just because that's the simplest chord you can get out of this, and I don't think John Mayer (or pretty much anyone) would go to the trouble of intentionally writing a song with something like Amaj7sus2sus4add6 (that's actually one of the possibilities, according to Power Tab). It looks like the song is in Em so I'm pretty sure it is Bm6/A (especially if A is played by the left hand on piano).
Quote by heavymetalteddy
I'd go with Bm6/A just because that's the simplest chord you can get out of this, and I don't think John Mayer (or pretty much anyone) would go to the trouble of intentionally writing a song with something like Amaj7sus2sus4add6 (that's actually one of the possibilities, according to Power Tab). It looks like the song is in Em so I'm pretty sure it is Bm6/A (especially if A is played by the left hand on piano).

Yeah but where does the G# fit in?
G# is the 6th. m6th chords don't contain a minor 6th interval. They are built as 1 - b3 - 5 - 6, not 1 - b3 - 5 - b6.
Quote by Johnljones7443
G# is the 6th. m6th chords don't contain a minor 6th interval. They are built as 1 - b3 - 5 - 6, not 1 - b3 - 5 - b6.

Seriously?

I was always taught that minor chords have the respective minor intervals for their chord names.

Why on earth would it work like that?
Quote by jeff541
ok. in my chorus of this song, here is what i have.

-----Em7---???--Gsus2/b---D/E
e|---2-------2-----3-----------2-----
B|---0-------0-----0-----------3----
G|---2-------1-----0-----------2---
D|---0-------0-----0-----------0----
A|---2-------0-----0-----------0----
E|-----------------3-----------0-----

E9sus - E9/A - Gadd9- D/E
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Zamboni
Seriously?

I was always taught that minor chords have the respective minor intervals for their chord names.

Why on earth would it work like that?

Minor chords have a minor 3rd, b3. Nothing else is required to make a chord minor.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

I think the most common way of notating that would be Baddb13 or Baddb6. Bb6 would imply a Bb major 6th chord.
That came up in another thread... I would just think of it as a ma7, but maybe there's some sort of context where you'd hear it as a B with an extension.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
That came up in another thread... I would just think of it as a ma7, but maybe there's some sort of context where you'd hear it as a B with an extension.

the 2nd chord?

I played through the progression, and to me it sounds like E9sus - E9/A - Gadd9- D/E

Its pretty obvious when you listen to it, you can hear it resolve from the 1st chord to the 2nd. The A causes a bit of a problem in the E9 chord. To me it sounds like either a mistake. Anyway thats my analysis..
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 18, 2007,
Quote by GuitarMunky
the 2nd chord?

I think he meant he would look at a _maddb13 chord being a _maj7 chord where the root is the b6. Example.. Amaddb13 would be A - C - E - F, which he would just look at as being FΔ.

I don't think he was referring to the chord the OP posted.