I was just thinking, if Nirvana and Pearl jam didn't help popularise grunge music and bring it to the mainstream do you think all the other alternative rock bands would be famous?

E.g. Smashing pumpkins, RHCP etc?

I don't really know enough about those bands fan followings to make a judgement in that way but to be honest i don't think that they would have been anywhere near as popular as they are now.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Ya, they would be just has famous.

To me, RHCP was nothing like grunge. At all.

Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Smashing Pumpkins probably be just as famous, although they would wait until mellion collie and the infinite sadness to become mainstream . RHCP would be just as popular.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Ya, they would be just has famous.

To me, RHCP was nothing like grunge. At all.

Hear. He speaks the truth.
Yeh what those bands did to rock was pretty legendary... it was a pivotal point in music history but i'm really glad that Nirvana didn't last too long....

I have nothing against KC, but i just think if he hung around Nirvana would've became really shiiiit..... like old and boring.... and i also love the Foo's, which would've never happened if Kurt didn't pass away...

EDIT: Ohh yeh and Pearl Jam FTW!!!
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
Let me put it this way... Nirvana and Pearl Jam weren't really the first bands signed to a major label, Alice in Chains was. And they were already being played on the radio..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
RHCP and SP would. Definitly. Not sure about Soundgarden, but those too I can assure of.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
RHCP made PJ famous...just thought I'd bring that up.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96

Yeah, during the BSSM tour. They would have never gotten the same exposure otherwise.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by RHCP94
Yeah, during the BSSM tour. They would have never gotten the same exposure otherwise.

Exactly!
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Let me put it this way... Nirvana and Pearl Jam weren't really the first bands signed to a major label, Alice in Chains was. And they were already being played on the radio..

I thought Soundgarden was the first to be signed to a major label.... .
...Life Sucks Then You Die...
Quote by str84ever
I was just thinking, if Nirvana and Pearl jam didn't help popularise grunge music and bring it to the mainstream do you think all the other alternative rock bands would be famous?

E.g. Smashing pumpkins, RHCP etc?

I don't really know enough about those bands fan followings to make a judgement in that way but to be honest i don't think that they would have been anywhere near as popular as they are now.

I still havent figured out why RHCP is considered grunge.
Meh, so many things contribute to which musical genre/scene/movement gets big at any particular time that it'd be pretty silly to pin it all on Nirvana and PJ, in my opinion.

You can trace the alternative sound back very easily to bands like Dino Jr and Sonic Youth in the mid 80s, and their sound even further back very easily.

Bands are always just taking their influences and moving in a slightly different direction, or adding a little bit to their sound etc, it's only because groups of similarish bands get popular at the same time that we even notice these movements.

(that bit didn't come out like I wanted to, but who cares?)

What interests me is that immediately after grunge and the dark-angsty early 90s rock, the next big movement in rock music was pop-punk.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FreeManson15
I still havent figured out why RHCP is considered grunge.

I didn't mean that i thought that, i just saw people labelling them as that.

I may not be a huge fan of theirs but i am aware of their work before the 90s.
Quote by sebastian_96

if it wasnt for RHCP nirvana, PJ, and SP wouldnt have gotten as much exposeure as soon as they did. i honestly see that the whole alternative rock/grunge scene of the early 90s was launched by RHCP and Jane's Addiction. as previously stated RHCP took those 3 bands to tour with them which garnered them major attention and exposure and jane's started lollapalooza which is one of the largest festival tours for alternative music.

EDIT: if RHCP hadnt brought those bands on tour, alternative scene would still have taken off, just maybe not as early as it did

EDIT II: oh and the next popular rock scene was pop-punk because it was happy and bright, if you look at the alternative scene it was quite dark, and had very suggestive scenes in its undertones, even in its brighter songs that had brighter moments
Last edited by Gibson_Rocker13 at Aug 20, 2007,
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
if it wasnt for RHCP nirvana, PJ, and SP wouldnt have gotten as much exposeure as soon as they did. i honestly see that the whole alternative rock/grunge scene of the early 90s was launched by RHCP and Jane's Addiction. as previously stated RHCP took those 3 bands to tour with them which garnered them major attention and exposure and jane's started lollapalooza which is one of the largest festival tours for alternative music.

EDIT: if RHCP hadnt brought those bands on tour, alternative scene would still have taken off, just maybe not as early as it did

EDIT II: oh and the next popular rock scene was pop-punk because it was happy and bright, if you look at the alternative scene it was quite dark, and had very suggestive scenes in its undertones, even in its brighter songs that had brighter moments

the muffin!
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

I will add that RHCP were not the only band that started the breakthrough of alternative rock: Living Colour and Faith no more also got some attention from press.
RHCP would probably make it onto the mainstream waves. I don't about the Smashing Pumpkins. They'd probably stay an underground band.