Alright, so ive been taking guitar lessons from the same teacher for about 2 years and this guy treats me like dirt. He acts like he the greatest thing on the planet, excluding his son who he talks about for half the lesson, and barely says hi to me when i walk in. For the time we have been together i have a total of 3 scales memorized, the circle of 5ths, and the basic chord forms. What i really want to learn are different techniques and songs and how to improvise better, but i havent been taught any of that, and when i mention it he goes on telling me i have a terrible attention span. I keep going cause i keep thinking it will get better, but it doesnt. I know the answer may sound obvious, to leave, but i was wondering if he was teaching me the right things, and if sticking with him will help me in the long run. opinions?
Well he is teaching you the right things.....but after 2 years, you should be farther. I have piano lessons like that for FIVE YEARS! I quit and took up guitar, and ive never had a lesson in my life. I learn as much as i can by hear, this site, other guitarists, etc. Do what you want. But at least you can go at your own pace if you teach yourself.
Quote by Msj08
Alright, so ive been taking guitar lessons from the same teacher for about 2 years and this guy treats me like dirt. He acts like he the greatest thing on the planet, excluding his son who he talks about for half the lesson, and barely says hi to me when i walk in. For the time we have been together i have a total of 3 scales memorized, the circle of 5ths, and the basic chord forms. What i really want to learn are different techniques and songs and how to improvise better, but i havent been taught any of that, and when i mention it he goes on telling me i have a terrible attention span. I keep going cause i keep thinking it will get better, but it doesnt. I know the answer may sound obvious, to leave, but i was wondering if he was teaching me the right things, and if sticking with him will help me in the long run. opinions?

Alright, so ive been dating this girl for about 2 years and this she treats me like dirt. SHe acts like she the greatest thing on the planet, excluding her dog who won't stop barking about for half the time i am with her, and barely says hi to me when i she her.

my life.
How much are you paying? Sounds like he's a dick. I would just spend my money elsewhere. I mean, they'll probably you teach you the same stuff, just differently? Either way, I say leave. But be sure you give him the finger and tell him off before you do. Maybe piss on his guitar.
find a new teacher, but stick with the lessons. ive never had lessons though. or you could go my route and but some theory and technique books and pretty much practice everything in the book
Is this guy's name Martin by any chance? He sounds like a guitar teacher I know. Anyway, stop taking lessons, you'd be insane to pay money for that. Just learn stuff off the 'net.
I think you should cuss him out and beat up his son.

Then quit and find a better teacher.

2 Years??? Dude I would have told off that teacher after about 2 months.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
yeah throw a tantrum and break stuff.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
alucardmik is actually from the outer rings of jupiter and likes to drink goat milk while rubbing his nipples counterclockwise. so i hear...
Just find a different teacher.
This is why there are so many "do it yourself" advocates,if it were me i would try to find another one though.
Most people can't learn on there own, many people say they can, but over half of them have no ****ing clue what they're doing
I haven't taken a lesson in my life, and I have yet to meet a better guitarist at my school. I hate lessons. I have a book that teaches me theory, but that's it.
personally get rid of that asshole. your guitar teacher should become your friend. like a guy said above a few posts, mine is like a best friend. you should stick with lessons though. find someone who knows their stuff, and is a decent person as well.
Stick with the lessons, if you like to learn guitar the theoretic way. Others prefer going by ear and fantasy, working their way through it. Guidance is positive, but not needed to succeed at this particular matter. It's all about your individual desire. I am self-taught, and I know for a fact that there are things I could still learn from a teacher. But I also dare say that there are things a teacher never could teach me. If you are a technically adept shred-type, then a teacher is quite important for you. If you are the improvisational, groovy, funk person, then you can do it on your own for sure.
I haven't taken a lesson in my life, and I have yet to meet a better guitarist at my school.

lMAO, how much is that saying?
Not saying your not any good, but i get sick of seeing people on this site who teach their self and think they're good because they can play a few songs they learned of this site, and are completely ignorant of any theory. You may not be one of those though.
If you aren't kudos, i would've been if wouldn't have got lessons.
No matter if he's teaching you the right things or not....you don't seem to be glad with your teacher and with the "atmosphere" between you and him - and thats not good!
I think that it's also very important for any kind of learning process to have fun with the things you do. that also includes your teacher - this is such an important relationship because u have to be absolutely sure that he is the right man, you have to trust him not to teach you any crap etc.....and normaly it should last a few years.
but if you feel so frustrated and uncomfortable before even playing your first note in a lesson just because of some "bad vibes" - it's defenitely not a good base and it can make u loosing interest in your instrument.
So I would maybe talk to him and tell him what u think....and if it doesn't change anything, change your teacher. look for someone you like, someone you can have fun with,...or at least someone who doesn't make you feel so bad in the lessons because that can not be helpful to learn.
My Rig:

Ibanez RBM - I adore this axe!!
Fender Strat (Duncan PU's + Floyd-Rose)
Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig2 (for Recording...awesome!)
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
Teach yourself because then you'll be much better and a more hardcore guitarist.
Actualy don't be a ****, get a better teacher until you feel you're confident enough to carry on, on your own.
Find a new teacher.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.