Does anyone have those colored strings on your bass. Is it a good buy? I think DR makes good strings. Does it leave colrs on your frets or fretboard. Explain...
I don't have coloured strings, bur yes DR make great strings, so they probably are a good buy and no they don't leave colours on your fretboard.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
They can look good, but color fades away with time because of sweat and oil from your fingers.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by system_cky
Oh thanks. I use my strings till they break so I should get them now...

I'm sorry, but I fail to see your point there. Are you trying to brag and say that you pluck so hard that you break strings? Because all of us do it at some stage, and most of us re-string before they break, as it's just annoying when they do.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
My piont was that I don't gat new string till I break. in which I never break them. And how could you brag about breaking strings??
i broke an E mid gig with my finger picking how is that not a braggable, anyway i've never tried the bass string but i've used the coloured guitar strings and the colour wears off really quick where you pick but on around the fret board its fine so i guess the worst that'll happen is the colours will fade over time
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
From what I understand, the coloured coating of the bass strings is to prolong string life. That comes, however, at the cost of initial brightness, which may or may not be your thing. Infortunately, it is indeed my thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
From what I understand, the coloured coating of the bass strings is to prolong string life. That comes, however, at the cost of initial brightness, which may or may not be your thing. Infortunately, it is indeed my thing.

wait, are you saying having color coated strings makes the strings LESS initial brightness? if you are, i'd have to disagree. i had DR black beauties and they were quite a bit more brighter than my hybrid slinkys with the whole "initial brightness" first few days sorta thing....

Anyways, the strings will fade where you play the most. if you use a pick, the strings will look almost like non-coated strings at the place you strum within a couple weeks. when i play i almost all the time use my fingers. but you could tell where i used a pick on them, when i did.

Oh.. and.. the color coat has no effect on the tone
the DRs are bright sounding strings. I've had a few sets of DR Black Beauties and a set of the DR hot pinks (they looked ok on my grey silver bass, but sounded great.)

Its all style no real substance, but DRs in and of themselves are great strings but the colour does fade a bit, but in a cool distressed kind of way.
DR sent my bass teacher a set of colored strings a while back, and the color rubbed off fairly quickly. It IS supposed to make the strings last longer, but as I've found with DR, if you are playing with clean fingers, they'll last you an awfully long time. I would just save your money and get regular Hi-Beams.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Thanks. I was reading bass player and I say this strings in there. There were gold. I think. I think it was for Randy Johnson or something.
Quote by system_cky
Thanks. I was reading bass player and I say this strings in there. There were gold. I think. I think it was for Randy Johnson or something.

Randy Jackson. Those ones aren't 'coloured', the wrap wire is indeed golden.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by -zj*
wait, are you saying having color coated strings makes the strings LESS initial brightness? if you are, i'd have to disagree. i had DR black beauties and they were quite a bit more brighter than my hybrid slinkys with the whole "initial brightness" first few days sorta thing....

*snip*

Oh.. and.. the color coat has no effect on the tone

Huh? You argue that the coating doesn't take away initial brightness by comparing it to a different brand of strings?

Black Beauties may be brighter than Hybrid Slinkies, but don't you need to compare the coated strings to the regular DR Hi-Beams to see if the coating reduces brightness? I haven't played any kind if DR string (can't find a set for my 5-string), but your logic makes absolutely no sense.
Quote by Scourge441
Huh? You argue that the coating doesn't take away initial brightness by comparing it to a different brand of strings?

Black Beauties may be brighter than Hybrid Slinkies, but don't you need to compare the coated strings to the regular DR Hi-Beams to see if the coating reduces brightness? I haven't played any kind if DR string (can't find a set for my 5-string), but your logic makes absolutely no sense.

I didn't mean to compare in a coated to non-coated comparison. Sorry if i was misleading. I was just comparing the initial brightness of two different strings, without the color coating in mind. My argument wasn't that of seeing if the coating reduces brightness, and/or maintaining it. I was just comparing 2 different strings' initial brightness. I fail to see how that logic makes absolutely no sense.
If we're already on the strings subject, Ive heard Eddie Van Halen boils his strings in hot water for 20 mins and then lets them dry in the sun.

So what does that do to the strings?
I didn't know you could get coloured strings. But I imagine they'd be more expensive, I'd rather just buy normal ones, considering I play with the normal dirty palms of a teenager.

That said, I only ever buy strings when I break one, I don't have the money to change them and I don't play in public so it's not essential they sound perfect.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Last edited by Dinkydaisy at Aug 26, 2007,
Those strings are close to £40 over here, it's ridiculous!

I've not played with them before but I'd imagine they are good strings if the DR's on a bass I tried out are anything to go by.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
They are pricey, ive held off getting new strings for a few months and the black DR strings keep coming to mind. Alot of people like them, and say they sound great and last awhile.

If you get some let me know what you think!
I have some red DR on my P-bass. They're all right, they match the color of my bass really well. Since I've got them though, they have felt slick at some times, and the color chips away where you normally play, and it looks like crap after a while.

I'll probably save a little bit of money and just get silver strings next time, I really like Blue Steel.