Say I was playing the D note at the 2nd string 3rd fret with my third finger, how close should my other fingers that I am not using be to the fret board. This is just an example.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
An inch or under? Its doesnt really matter, as I speed up they dont go as far away. So as long as you do that it shouldnt matter.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by radiantmoon
Say I was playing the D note at the 2nd string 3rd fret with my third finger, how close should my other fingers that I am not using be to the fret board. This is just an example.

As close as possible. You want to keep your motions as small and tight as you can. Watch Petrucci for what is right, watch Lamb of God's Laid To Rest video for what is wrong. I think they are exaggerating intentionally on that vid, but I'm not sure. When I've seen them live I had more pressing issues, like the 240 pound Slayer fans trying to beat my face in, than watching their fingers.
well in general they should be close, but its not something you should really have to focus on or practice. If you play enough they will be where they need to be, and it varies depending on what you are doing.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
well in general they should be close, but its not something you should really have to focus on or practice. If you play enough they will be where they need to be, and it varies depending on what you are doing.

Yeah its not something I thought about before but I want to improve my playing in general. Like I just wanted to know aproximately how close to the strings they should be when they are not in use. I have seen people have there fingers pretty much touching and others way off the fretboard.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Yes keep your fingers as close as possible.... Another good person to model your left (and right) hand motion would be Yngwie Malmsteen, he has an extremely economical style of playing.
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by sheumack111
Yes keep your fingers as close as possible.... Another good person to model your left (and right) hand motion would be Yngwie Malmsteen, he has an extremely economical style of playing.

does that mean touching the string or hovering just above them.
^Just hovering above the strings. Not too close or you might accidently mute the string you just struck. Think of it this way: If you are trying to play a fast lick, is it easier for your fingers to make a big swing to fret the note or just a little pressure. Always think about this while you are playing.
Gear

Ibanez S520EX
Gordon Smith electric guitar
Zoom GFX-707 Multi-effects
Crappy starter amp