If a 2007 Highway 1 bass has all of the features of a standard American, but with even more stuff (better bridge, tone pot, finish, styling, etc), then why is it cheaper? Location? QC?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I was wondering the same thing about the 6 string reg electric.......i really want one now...changing those pickup and knob colors to black really makes it look kick-arse =D

maybe they found a way to manufacture it cheaper?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
I have a Highway 1 P-bass and here's my theory:
1. They take the American parts, and have them assembled on the border by Mexican employees.
2. That finish(or lack thereof) is so bad that if you brush it with a feather, you get a two inch gouge through the wood.
3. No hard case.

I still prefer the Highway 1 guitars to Americans, but Japanese are by far my favorite.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
are the highway 1's assembled in Mexico like the standards? The standard series are also made with American parts assembled across the border, but I thought the H1's were made and assembled here?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
MIM = Mexican parts assembled in Mexico
HW1 = Mexican woods w/ US electronics assembled in USA
MIA = American parts assembled in USA

That's the way I understood it, at least.
haha
Cool. So yeah if I plunk some new pickups in my MIM's I'll have just saved myself a few hundred bucks :]
The Highway 1 has:

-No through body stringing
-Nitrocelluose finish as opposed to a polyurethane which is stronger
-No S-1 switching
-and I believe the H-1 has a different tone circuit.
The HW1 has the "Greasebucket" tone circuit, which rolls off highs without adding lows.

Also, the HW1 has no option for maple board, which is also cheaper.
haha
I thought the H1 had the body assembled in mexico (with mexican woods) and then it was shipped (via highway one) to america where it was fully assembled and quality checked?
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
I thought the H1 had the body assembled in mexico (with mexican woods) and then it was shipped (via highway one) to america where it was fully assembled and quality checked?

I'm sold. I think they cut a lot of overhead by doing that.

Also, the finishes on those basses are just bloody ugly. They haven't any gloss, and they managed to make nitrocellulose finish even more fragile than it already is. However, you can get a vintage-y looking relic job done the real way quite fast.

The new ones this year have different headstocks (more noticible on guitars), BadAss II bridges, and the aforementioned Greasebucket tone control, which I think is totally stupid and pointless on bass but damn near essential on guitar.

I'd consider buying a 3-tone 'burst Highway One Jazz if it came fretless.

EDIT: According to Wiki - American, American Deluxe, Artist, Custom Classic, Custom Artist and Highway One series Stratocasters are made in a Fender factory in Corona, California, United States of America and are commonly called Made In America (MIA) Stratocasters. There is also a Fender Museum there open to the public.

But that description is a bit ambiguous with the difference between making of parts and assembling.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 19, 2007,
They make it in white blonde? Like Mary Kaye? Or do you mean honey blonde?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
my Hwy 1 Jazz was built in Corona, California. the paint is where they save the money. satin lacquer, very thin. i bought mine new in '04. it is the least expensive, made in usa, you can get. for the money, the Geddy Lee, is the only thing close.
i like mine alot. it is a tried and true battleaxe, for me.
Quote by reaume140
Yeah, it comes in white blonde...it pretty much looks like fleas shell pink 61 jazz bass...heres a link to a picture of it.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Fender-Highway-One-Jazz-Bass?full_sku=103922571

Impressive. Admittedly it looks more like Eric Johnson's strat than Mary Kaye's strat, but I still love that colour. I'd have gotten my Jazz in Olympic White Pearl had I known it came in that colour. If you could see wood grain (ironically like on all the other Highway One's), I'd be sold.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
im pretty sure you can see the wood grain up close..i have this picture of it on my comp and i can see the wood grain.
its a pretty sweet bass..im going to order it from guitar center this week
Quote by reaume140
im pretty sure you can see the wood grain up close..i have this picture of it on my comp and i can see the wood grain.
its a pretty sweet bass..im going to order it from guitar center this week

If they added a 21st fret I'd go out and buy it now.
Quote by Cody_Grey102