I have been struggling for a while, as some of you may have noticed, with producing pieces that I feel are polished enough and complete enough to even post here.

I wouldn't call it a writer's block, but I will appreciate if some of the more productive writers, that write every day, can say a few things about motivates them to write and even specifically how they take one great line that occurred to them and build a whole piece of writing around it.
This is not a pipe
Every piece that I ever posted here was written in 15 min (at max). I don’t know how much productive my writing is but I think I can help you. Most of my pieces are based on one good line even if it is not too gr8. What I generally do is that I first develop the whole story on that line and then I write it. I think you can develop the whole piece around it by working on what do u feel towards it and all. Just develop a story for it.
Hi
I think you've answered your own problem in your first sentence.

The forum shouldn't be anywhere in your head when writing.

I generally start with a title. Not even a complex one - see Grass, Walls, Apple. Then just use that idea or image to convey what I want to say.
Of course I was referring to this as an example, Jamie.

What I mean is that the initial idea, or line does not reflect the outcome of the piece which disappoints me, and thus I don't find that I want to post it at all, having not liking it myself.

Regarding the titles, I usually go by what Andy pointed out, starting with a line and an idea, rather than a subject.
This is not a pipe
Even though I generally write only jazz based songs with no lyrics and such, I find just writing every day is the only way to get ideas out. I think allowing yourself to hear the ideas you have in the back of your head and then writing them down everyday is a very productive practice when it comes to songwriting.

You don't have to make a whole new song about it, just let the ideas come out and then polish them up and make them feel complete. After awhile I find I come back to some of the ideas that I found really intriguing and then usually go on to complete that idea and turn it into some jazz lead sheet.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by carmel_l
Of course I was referring to this as an example, Jamie.

What I mean is that the initial idea, or line does not reflect the outcome of the piece which disappoints me, and thus I don't find that I want to post it at all, having not liking it myself.

Regarding the titles, I usually go by what Andy pointed out, starting with a line and an idea, rather than a subject.

Ha, sorry Carmel.

If I have a stand out line, I usually just write, and tend to just come out with a long piece, which with some editing write afterwards is usually trimmed down, streamlined so it holds more impetus. Then if I still have that feeling a couple of days later I'll go back and do another edit.

Some days I can scribble down the piece and it will go great, other times the rest of the piece just will not develop. I then just save the one good line for a rainy day
Write about what you feel you shouldn't. Talk about stuff that really shouldn't be discussed.

Start with a no holds barred approach. You can edit later.

Just.. write. Anything.
"You can never quarantine the past."
Well, for starters, I think you shouldn't set expectations for your writing. I know a lot of people do and I'm guilty of it myself, but I think that if we stop setting expectations for ourselves, things will just start flowing a lot better. It also helps me a lot to simply have a feeling instead of a rigid, almost geometrical idea in my head. It produces more... descriptive pieces. Pieces that paint a picture instead of explain a situation.

Ah well, that's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
Can't say I was never wrong
But some blame rests on you

Work and play they're never okay
To mix the way we do
I can completely identify with the struggle to turn a line into a complete piece.

Usually the easiest thing for me is to clear my mind of how it will sound or look, and just think about what that line is saying, or means. In your mind, process it, elaborate on it, consider it...and what comes through your thoughts, try to write down in the most lucid way possible. Otherwise I find my work becomes disjointed and frequently doesn't make much sense, barely any to me and absolutely none to a reader. Let it develop in your mind, then try to write it in the clearest way possible. (By clear I don't mean straight-forward, I mean to make the reader feel and see the EXACT same things that you do at the moment you're thinking, through whatever devices are necessary).
I almost always find that my writing evolves from a single line or phrase, and yeah it can be difficult to build that into an idea, but you have to remember that the line you start out with doesnt have to be the monarch of the finished piece. Just take it, keep the words coming, and see where you get. I find it easy but then my style of writing is not exactly structured so maybe its more difficult for you.

I would go against what some people have said here, and say don't think about what you're writing. Don't think it must be finished, it must return to some idea or other, it must correlate with your original line, because it doesnt have to do anything at all. Some of ym favourite pieces of mine are half finished, and I'm entirely happy to leave them that way. It doesn't bother me, because sometimes I know that there just aren't the words I need to get that message across.

If you're really in trouble, change the way you write. Instead of starting with a line or idea, or a picture in your head that woul want to describe, write about a situation. Write about people and create some characters, because when you create people, there are much more satisfying routes you can take. I dont have some of my best pieces anymore sadly, but a lot have been about situations. One I remember was about a lust driven carriage, and some statues. I lost that one. The ones you sent me about the railway tracks, and the bridge, which I will probably repost soon, are also like that.

Hope this helps

CT

love is a dog from hell.

I spend hours on a text, cause sometimes it doesn't feel right and I have to find something else. I could write a text in 15min, but it wouldn't feel right/good enough.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"