... Well, basicly: I cant make a solo.
I can do riff-like thingys (mainly in minor) that dont sound like crap... I know the pentascale in all positions, but just cant make a solo-thingy... What should i do to improve my soloing-...thing?
Rub icyhot on your guitar.

No, seriously, erm, just bend around a bit, play up and down the scale a bit, add a bit of vibrato, mix it up with a bit of icy hot in a bowl and turn your amp up to full. Tasty.

^ That was serious btw, apart from the icy hot bit.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
Just work on playing faster over time with a metronome. And work on stretching your hand and hammer-ons, so you can play faster.
The.
Get another guitarist/bass player or a delay pedal with a reasonable hold time and play a riff, have the riff repeated and then put a solo over the top. It's easier with the riff going as well because it gives a bit of a backbone to what your playing
i found that a good way was to listen 2 a song, get the rif in your head, but not the solo, and then play something that would fit, regardless of wether uif it fits into a scale on not ( i dont know any), then once you get alright at that, you can do it for your own riffs
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
you dont need to play fast to play a good solo. ive played a few killer improv solos (also played a few ****ty ones, though) and i cant play really fast.

i like to use scales besides penatonics, though

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Aug 19, 2007,
It takes time dude... not everyone gets it right away, sorry to say this ive been playing 8 months and i can do the sanitarium lead and the walk solo but im also known for being a really fast learner. Everyone takes there own time with things so just practice i guess, thats what I do. Dont look for the easy way out, itll only hurt in later in some way. If that means not being able to do a technique or you cant play fast enough. PRACTICE!!! oh and the sanitarium **** is easy, so i would reccamend learning that too...

Welcome Home Sanitarium-Metallica.. good song, good lead, lots of little easy solos in it.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Find out what key your playing in and solo in it the scale. Try to find three different places on the guitar where you can play it and just do some slow tempo shreding. Eventually, speed it up gradually until your clean and after all the practicing that you did while moving up in tempo will help you out when writing and improv in general.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
MB, i use a Spider II-something, and i've learned that if i use phaser combined with sweep echo on full sounds really cool , but for a while now, ive been filling in for a friend in a punk/rock band, and i wanna be able to make a cool new solo in just distortion...

Ps, sorry for the bad english, im not as good as i pretend to be
you really just need to develop a feel for solo's, particularly whatever sort of solo's your trying to play. trying to improv rock/blues solos (i would assume from your mention of pentatonics in specific) listen to the great blues/classic rock guitarists and just kind of let your mind pickup a feel for the soloing.
ehh
Quote by gopherthegreat
you dont need to play fast to play a good solo. ive played a few killer improv solos and i cant play really fast.

i like to use scales besides penatonics, though

What scales?
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Just work on playing faster over time with a metronome. And work on stretching your hand and hammer-ons, so you can play faster.

I thought he wanted to learn how to construct solos, not how to play faster.

I'd recommend just learning to play melodies on your guitar (preferrably by ear rather than tab), they can be solos or vocal lines or whatever, just single note melodies. Then practice on bending certain notes, and if you're a metal player, learning pinch harmonics.

Learning how to solo is like learning how to draw, you can draw like this:

, like this: or like this:

Get my point?
Quote by K3np4tch1
What scales?

the ones my guitar teacher teaches me (i have the diagrams of them on my walls). major, minor.......you could probably find a lot of scales on the internet

but unless you play really fast, solos never sound good without something behind it

Jack my swag
Quote by metalisbest
It takes time dude... not everyone gets it right away, sorry to say this ive been playing 8 months and i can do the sanitarium lead and the walk solo but im also known for being a really fast learner. Everyone takes there own time with things so just practice i guess, thats what I do. Dont look for the easy way out, itll only hurt in later in some way. If that means not being able to do a technique or you cant play fast enough. PRACTICE!!! oh and the sanitarium **** is easy, so i would reccamend learning that too...

Welcome Home Sanitarium-Metallica.. good song, good lead, lots of little easy solos in it.

That's not advice.

That's just you telling us that you're a fast learner.

"i found that a good way was to listen 2 a song, get the rif in your head, but not the solo, and then play something that would fit, regardless of wether uif it fits into a scale on not ( i dont know any), then once you get alright at that, you can do it for your own riffs"

I disagree with that.

You really do need to know at least one scale for a solo I think and you should be comfortable with a few positions of the scale on the guitar.

I'm talking rubbish to be honest.......
Quote by metalisbest

so in other words........your advice is to practice?

Jack my swag
I can't sweep pick for my life, but my solo's sound fine, mostly because i play a string once and then can hammer/pull/bend my way to speed demon status :P
No seriously though just think of a sweet sounding lick, make adjustments, then work around that idea, playing it up down the guitar/variations of it, then add a little icy hot and there you go.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
Quote by MightyAl
If you pull 'guitar faces' all through it, you will solo better.

True! Playing on a high cliff with the wind blowing in your face makes for good solos too
learn the blues scale. I think pick n' grin has an entire lesson on it in the videos section. anyway, it's the most badass scale ever.
Try this:
Pick one scale (let's say the blues scale) in some key (let's say A) and learn at least one shape of it. Then play that scale on top of one recorded chord (if we said A blues scale, then it would be logical to start on A7 or Am chord). You will hear how different intervals sound and how that scale sounds. Then you can add another chord from that key (if the first one was A7, second could be D7) and hear how the same A blues scale sounds different on o those two chords. After some time of playing up and down that scale over 2 or 3 chords you can begin constructing melodies (stop on some 'good' sounding notes, make pauses, apply some techniques to that up and down scale playing) and eventually you will be able to make up melodies that connect and make a solo. It's not easy, but it's the most musical way, because just playing fast doesn't mean the solo sounds good. Anyways, have fun with it, it's interesting ;]
Last edited by UNIe at Aug 19, 2007,