Would that sound right? I'm just having some trouble writing a solo thats played over the chord progression listed.
ok thanks a lot. But what about major mode? or can anyone tell me some other scales or modes? I want it to be an overdriven wah solo, it's more of a hard rock song.
it could if u use it right
\
GEAR:
Ibanez GSA60 guitar
perri blue lighting strap
Digitech RP250 pedal
Marshall MG30 Amp

Quote by Glen
I call these Glen wads, they'll get you high just on flavor alone

FOUNDER OF THE JONAS BROTHERS SUCK group join today
Quote by Zamboni
Major pentatonic scales aren't used enough. Try C pentatonic. It'll sound like sex.

That's the same as A minor...
Quote by Zamboni
It's not the same scale.

Does that only matter for the idea of ending the lick on the root note? Giving it a major rather than minor feel?
Quote by TheShadow
Does that only matter for the idea of ending the lick on the root note? Giving it a major rather than minor feel?

Well, it's a completely different-sounding scale.

Here's the minor pent:

e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

And the major pent:

e|-|---|-O-|---|-o-|---|
B|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|---|-O-|---|
A|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
E|-|---|-O-|---|-o-|---|

True, they are just different starting points for the same thing, but the box-pattern really allows for a change in feel for minor vs. major pentatonics.
A major pentatonic over A would be fine.

Over G it would the notes would be G B D from G, and A, B, C#, E F# from A major pentatonic.
So all together you would have.
G A B C# D E F#
1 2 3 #4 5 6 7

This would give a lydian feel as it is effectivly G lydian.

Over F you would be the notes F A C from F, and A, B, C#, E F# from A major pentatonic.
So all together you would have.

F F# A B C C# E
Which can be written as
F Gb A B  C Db E
1 b2 3 #4 5 b6 7

I haven't tried that last scale so I can't tell you what It would sound like, but give it a go. If your ears tell you it sounds right, it is right.
Zamboni:if u took a c major pentatonic scale,and an a minor pentatonic scale,the notes would be the same...this song has an A,G,and F...all of those notes fall in the a minor pentatonic scale,and the c major pentatonic.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
^ No they don't.
The notes of A Minor Pentatonic scale are: A C D E G.

The notes of A are A C# E
The notes of F are F A C
The notes of G are G B D
Not all of these notes fall into the minor pentatonic.

However the minor pentatonic would work over the progression, it would sound more "bluesy" probably more appropriate for a rock solo.
However some notes which are considered "avoid" notes would be playing the D over the A chord and the C over the G chord.

Just thought of something....thread starter. is what you're playing triads or powerchords?
Just use the C# as a passing tone. The A major is out of key in that progression. It sounds good...it's just not in key. If it were an A minor, you could use an A harmonic minor to give it a distinct taste. Or you could just use the pentatonic minor or blues to give it a more "rock" feeling. Anyway...for A G F....try a G major pentatonic. You can add an A# into that one and give it a real bluesy feel.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
it's 5 3 1
7 5 3
7 5 3
6 4 2

A G F

bottom 2 strings are muted.
thanks for all the help guys

edit: so thats a triad chord?
Last edited by toha33 at Aug 20, 2007,
try using the Aminor pentatonic,and occasionally swinging to G major Pentatonic aswell it will give that modal feel( edit: the A has to be min in tha progression) also F will work, If you play the Cmajor scale it'll be aoleon, you could try the whole-half diminished, but it causes tension
Last edited by jimmypage1904 at Aug 20, 2007,
Quote by Zamboni
Well, it's a completely different-sounding scale.

Here's the minor pent:

e|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|
B|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|-O-|---|---|
A|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-o-|---|

And the major pent:

e|-|---|-O-|---|-o-|---|
B|-|---|-o-|---|-o-|---|
G|-|-o-|---|-o-|---|---|
D|-|-o-|---|---|-O-|---|
A|-|-o-|---|---|-o-|---|
E|-|---|-O-|---|-o-|---|

True, they are just different starting points for the same thing, but the box-pattern really allows for a change in feel for minor vs. major pentatonics.

You make no sense. A scale is not a box pattern. That's merely a part of the scale. Unless you're like twelve years old, you generally don't stay in the same three-fret range when soloing anyway. Either of those boxes (or any other configurations of the pentatonic scale) can be used interchangeably, as they all contain the same notes.
Quote by I floss daily
You make no sense. A scale is not a box pattern. That's merely a part of the scale. Unless you're like twelve years old, you generally don't stay in the same three-fret range when soloing anyway. Either of those boxes (or any other configurations of the pentatonic scale) can be used interchangeably, as they all contain the same notes.

Approaching a solo from a major box-pattern or a minor box-pattern can lead to wildly-different musical ideas and phrases.

And, "unless you're like twelve years old", you generally don't limit yourself either by staying in a box pattern, or avoiding a box pattern.
Ok guys, i'm done writing the solo and to my ears it sounds right. I made up great simple licks and used the minor pentatonic A. Were there positions or notes I was supposed to avoid?
Quote by Zamboni
Am would sound so much better in place of that A.

what? the two things have totally different feels. its absurd to say that one sounds better.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.