Well I am looking how to make my Vox Valvetronix AD30VT to churn out that beautiful tone (particularly on Glasgow Kiss) First of all I know I am not going to get a tone just like his, He has an amazing setup worth thousands and thousands. I am mainly looking at what are the sort of effect pedals he is using? I would assume hes got something like a Tube Screamer and an Octaver but can anyone give me something more detailed it would be great
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
to be honest, the normal metal tone on that amp should be fine, just roll the mids a bit forwaqrd, the treble forward and the bass back and the drive about half way maybe slight reverb.
He doesn't use much in the means of pedals, last I recall. He's a primarily rack-setup kind of guy. I know he uses some Eventide equipment. Do a search for his set up, I think someone did him for an Artist of the Month a while back.

You won't get even close to Petrucci's tone with a Valvetronix. Don't try to kid yourself. The man's set-up could have been designed by NASA, for Christ's sake.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Don't think he has a tube screamer, and I think most his pedals are BOSS. I used to have the same amp as you but I sold it quite fast so I barely remember any of the settings...

Most of his tone comes from the Mesa/Boogies though, so I don't think effect pedals will help, save for maybe some overdrive pedals.

- edit - If you ever get a Line6 POD, I'd be happy to give you some Petrucci-style settings for both rhythm and lead.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
He doesn't use much in the means of pedals, last I recall. He's a primarily rack-setup kind of guy. I know he uses some Eventide equipment. Do a search for his set up, I think someone did him for an Artist of the Month a while back.

You won't get even close to Petrucci's tone with a Valvetronix. Don't try to kid yourself. The man's set-up could have been designed by NASA, for Christ's sake.

As I said in my origonal post... I dont expect to get his exact tone, just boost what I have already to something closer.

Quote by Aziraphale
Don't think he has a tube screamer, and I think most his pedals are BOSS. I used to have the same amp as you but I sold it quite fast so I barely remember any of the settings...

Most of his tone comes from the Mesa/Boogies though, so I don't think effect pedals will help, save for maybe some overdrive pedals.

- edit - If you ever get a Line6 POD, I'd be happy to give you some Petrucci-style settings for both rhythm and lead.

I have been looking at the POD, I may invest in one if I can find the money.
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Quote by Deviant1853

I have been looking at the POD, I may invest in one if I can find the money.

The PODs are great The reason I sold my VOX in the first place was because I didn't want the hassle of dialing in both good POD tones and good amp tones, so I just downgraded to a Kustom 60w for the clean sound which really is optimal for playing with a POD. So what I'm saying is, you may have a hard time with the POD if your amp is also a modeler and multi-fx.
johns lead tone is typical "mesa mids" the mids in mark IV and similar amps are VERY prominent and ad that fluidity and punch to the tone.
he also uses a ping pong delay that pans between cabs when he setusp up stereo.

a guitar with dimarzio airnortan and d sonic, lots of mids to your tone, not loats of gain and delay set around 440ms will get you close.
I was watching the special edition DVD from the new Systematic Chaos album and you can see an MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal sitting on the mixer in front of Petrucci. Maybe he used this on the new album. Systematic Chaos has some REALLY heavy guitar tones in it.
Samick SPG650FF SBS Electric
Washburn D34 Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 212
Boss ME-50
You need a really sweet sounding neck pickup, I think for once the guitar influences the tone a lot, but obviously a mid boosted, mid gain level tone setting too
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join