Between this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-15180-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485037

And this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032

The first is rated at 180 watts and the second at 307 watts, but the price difference is only $40 USD. They're both Ashdown and each have the same speaker size, but is there any big reason thy're pricing the latter so realtively low?

And, if there is a big difference, which one would you think is the better buy (I'm moving up from a Line 6 75 watt, if that matters)?

Thanks in advance.
i have the C115 now i have distortoin in the backround and the sound isnt as smooth at high volumes. Its fairly decent other than that
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Nah, I'd say the Ashdowns are a step up. Not a huge one, but still a step up.
For the actual question though, I have no idea why they're so closely priced, because it looks like the MAG has all the features of the Electric Blue, only way more watts.
The MAG has a Mosfet power section too...

Mosfet basically being a solid state technology used to make your amp sound more like it's running with tubes. Ampeg use it in all of their solid state SVT heads to give them a more 'Ampeg'-y flavour.

I'm still standing by my thoughts that Ashdown wouldn't really be a step up. I own the Electric Blue, and although it is very nice, I can't see it being able to do anything beyond what your Line 6 already does; the same applies to the MAG - the only real advantage there is power.

SERIOUSLY, look at the higher end Peavey combos, such as the TKO, TNT, and COMBO115, they are bloody good amps - incredibly underrated in terms of wattage and the tone is lush.

Trust me.
Ashdown MAGs are brilliant amps but I don't like the Ashdown 15" speakers - the tens sound much better. The old model amps in this range were better so I'd suggest you look out for the old 400W MAGs that were made in England rather than China.

I do like Peavey TNTs but they don't hand a candle to MAGs. I compared, among other amps, a TNT115, MAG115, MAG210 and MAG410. I also tried Ampeg BAs and a few others that I can't remember right now. I bought a MAG410 (at a later date, and a 400W model) but if the money hadn't allowed my second choice would have been the TNT.
Last edited by smb at Aug 19, 2007,
I think the MAG can only hit the 307 watts if you hook up an extension cabinet. Any truth to this?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by fake_sk8r182
The Ashdown's are more of a step across from your Line 6, rather than a step up. Have a look at Peavey or GK gear.

Get the hell out of here. The Electric Blue series sound better than any Line 6 amp I've ever heard, but it's entry level gigging gear basically. The MAG series are much better than them.

Ashdown in my opinion and plenty of others do among the best semi-pro gigging level gear on the market. Line 6 do not have much respect in the bass world.

Peavey combo's are horribly overpriced. Ashdown just blow them out of the water when it comes down to a price vs quality ratio.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Aug 19, 2007,
Quote by Caustic
Get the hell out of here. The Electric Blue series sound better than any Line 6 amp I've ever heard, but it's entry level gigging gear basically. The MAG series are much better than them.

Ashdown in my opinion and plenty of others do among the best semi-pro gigging level gear on the market. Line 6 do not have much respect in the bass world.

Peavey combo's are horribly overpriced. Ashdown just blow them out of the water when it comes down to a price vs quality ratio.

I guess we have totally conflicting experiences then.

I own Peavey and Ashdown gear, and the Peavey will always take precedent when it comes to playing a gig - I paid slightly more for the Ashdown, thinking it would meet my needs. The Peavey just sounds so much better. Line 6 don't have much respect in the bass world because their product lines are limited - the three combos they have on the market have been around for what, a year? I don't know of any other company that has gained ANY notable respect in that short a space of time, so to be honest, I think the Line 6 deserves some credit.

The Electric blue gear is nice, as I said before, but in my opinion to shell out a fairly sizable amount of money on an amp which isn't a major step up from what you already have, seems a little pointless. I've learned that the hard way.
Quote by fake_sk8r182
I guess we have totally conflicting experiences then.

I own Peavey and Ashdown gear, and the Peavey will always take precedent when it comes to playing a gig - I paid slightly more for the Ashdown, thinking it would meet my needs. The Peavey just sounds so much better. Line 6 don't have much respect in the bass world because their product lines are limited - the three combos they have on the market have been around for what, a year? I don't know of any other company that has gained ANY notable respect in that short a space of time, so to be honest, I think the Line 6 deserves some credit.

The Electric blue gear is nice, as I said before, but in my opinion to shell out a fairly sizable amount of money on an amp which isn't a major step up from what you already have, seems a little pointless. I've learned that the hard way.

Evidently. I've found Peavey just lacking all around, and very reliant on the excellent and justified reputation of their high end gear to get their lower end stuff to sell. Ashdown is quality across the range, but there is a noticeable jump in quality when you upgrade from EB to MAG.

have you felt the speakers they put in production run Peavey PA gear? Flimsy as hell. Like the old paper cup and string trick. Same with their bass combo's.

As for Line 6, they've got a bad reputation not because they're new to the market, but because they sound like what they are. Bad digital emulators of other amps.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Aug 19, 2007,