Okay, at the moment I am working on teaching myself standard notation. I understand the very basics, and am currently working on key signatures (confusing as hell) and making recognising everything second nature.

But, I am confused on how to know which string a note is to be played. Can anyone point me to a site that explains standard notation in relation to the guitar, as I haven't found a website on it yet.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

notes are found all over, they repeat a lot on the guitar neck, something you'll often see written in music is something like

'III'
or
'VI'

this implies, for the first one, that you're playing in third position, with your first finger at the 3rd fret, the second one implies 6th position, with first finger at the 6th fret

however, this isn't always the case, and from my experience with playing classical it's often times just left up to you to decide the best spot and fingerings for things
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
yeah like he said notes repeat a lot on the guitar neck, its important to memorize where all the notes are and such instead of just memorizing as "frets" like tablature implies you to do
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Okay, thanks guys. But I know notes repeat themselves, every twelve frets and over various strings, but aren't these all seperate octaves? How do I know which octave the song is intended to be played?
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

because the notes repeat not only on guitar, but on the staff too, for instance 2nd fret on G string is A, the 2nd space from bottom on the staff, and that same note is also the 7th fret on E, whereas, the A that's located on the line above the 5 staff lines, that A is found on the 5th fret of high E, or 10th fret of G, etc
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Guitar music is written an octave higher than it's played. Middle C is third fret A string in standard tuning at 440hz.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine