Well, I have a Peavey 5150 Head. When I am plugging this into my cab, it will make a loud humming noise. I know it shouldn't be the tubes, because I just changed them not even a month ago. I just put a new fuse into it so that isn't the problem. I also tried multiple cabs and speaker cables. Tried a grounded plug and an ungrounded and it will all do the same thing. Anyone have any idea of what this could be or should I take it up to a shop?
could be the guitar, my old Fender gives a lot of hum when playng with my friends 5150
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
It's not the guitar, it does that even if there is not guitar plugged in, just the head and cab.

I know that, I always keep it off unless it is plugged into the cab.
Yeah, like george said...

If you run the head without a cab attached you will ruin your amplifier's transformre and tubes, if not more. A bunch of smoke and sparks is what you will have.

If you are plugging it in before turning it on, and you're getting the hum then ensure you're plugged into a proper AC outlet. If there are any light's in the room on dimmers/fader, that will cause severe hum. If the house is not grounded correctly, that will cause severe hum.

Single coils also hum very badly if you are around a TV or flourescent light, as these emit waves that cause very very severe interference, and if that goes into a 100 watt amp with the gain cranked, it's not a good combination.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Well, it is even if I have the volume down. I know proper tube amp care such as never turning it on without it plugged into a cab. Thee are a couple lights on, but would that affect it if the volume of the amp is all the way down. It isn't single coils, one of the guitars is my Les Paul with EMG's and the other is with a Razorback.
Even with the lights off, the dimmer/fader will cause hum. My amp did this at my old house with fading lights.

It will hum loudly even at low volumes.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
There isn't a fader on the lights. I think there is one up in the kitchen, but this is in the basement. Would that affect it?
I don't think it would affect it that much.

How old are your preamp tubes?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by sdmf5150
There isn't a fader on the lights. I think there is one up in the kitchen, but this is in the basement. Would that affect it?

Could... when my kitchen light is on and my amp is plugged in another room I get a nasty nasty buzz from my amp.