Can someone enlighten me on the different brands & styles of pickups?
Do pickups play a substantial roll in the quality of a guitar, or is it the amount of them that makes the difference?
Some people believe you can play with a ****ty pickup as long as you have a good amp. WRONG.
Gotta have a good pickup.
Depends on what kind of music you are playing.

A friend of mine has a Les Paul gothic, the stock pickup sounded pretty nice, but he still decided to replace it with an EMG 81... HUGE DIFFERENCE. If you do any type of recording I would suggest an 81, especially if you run your guitar direct when recording.

Ive always heard Dimarzios were really good pickups.

I hate my Seymour Duncans.
They play a very substantial role. Humbuckers are in general better for distortion (but can play clean very well also, depending on the pickup, but some people(me) think they lack the sparkle of single coils) Single coils are more prone to hum (humbuckers don't hum, get it? )

Therefore single coils are typically set in sets of three with the center pickup reverse polarity in order to cancel out the hum when using two pickups at once.

Humbuckers only need to be in sets of two, but are occasionally alone or in sets of three.

So it would be nearly safe to say humbuckers are better for distortion and single coils better for clean, though they can both do each other's job.
"After while your cheap talk dont even cause me pain...so let your bullets fly like rain."
Quote by chachainsaw
Some people believe you can play with a ****ty pickup as long as you have a good amp. WRONG.
Gotta have a good pickup.
Depends on what kind of music you are playing.

A friend of mine has a Les Paul gothic, the stock pickup sounded pretty nice, but he still decided to replace it with an EMG 81... HUGE DIFFERENCE. If you do any type of recording I would suggest an 81, especially if you run your guitar direct when recording.

Ive always heard Dimarzios were really good pickups.

I hate my Seymour Duncans.

i think u need both amp and pickups...
and if u think Seymour Duncans are bad, you got the wrong pickups. the '59 model is very superior, the Alnico II Pro is a classic slash pickup, and the Pearly Gates just blows away any othe rpickups. for higher output, the Duncan Custom Custom will be very nice. you "heard" Dimarzios were good, but IMO, Seymour Duncan makes better pickups. don't get the Livewire or the Dimebag pickups tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
IMO pickups should come last.

First you want a good amp that does all the styles you want and sounds good.
Then you want a comfortable guitar that feels good to play.
Then if you use them, you want whatever pedals you will use.
FINALLY you should find a nice set of pickups to refine your tone to exactly how you want it.

So, pickups are important in your tone but the amp is most important there.

And pickups come second to the feel and playability of a guitar. i.e. Don't buy a guitar that sounds good but plays like ****, otherwise you'll be hindered forever. Pickups can be changed easily, playability can't.
Quote by ECistheBest
i think u need both amp and pickups...
and if u think Seymour Duncans are bad, you got the wrong pickups. the '59 model is very superior, the Alnico II Pro is a classic slash pickup, and the Pearly Gates just blows away any othe rpickups. for higher output, the Duncan Custom Custom will be very nice. you "heard" Dimarzios were good, but IMO, Seymour Duncan makes better pickups. don't get the Livewire or the Dimebag pickups tho.

They are Duncan Distortions... They blow. Cant get a crunchy palm mute for crap. I guess they would be good for a blues guitarist or something, not for metal.