I'm thinking about buying a fender. I was thinking of maybe going Gibson but I like the Fender tonality. The problem is, is that I'm going to have to order the guitar online because I have recently smashed my foott at work and have a bandaged up foot and all. So I can't just go up there now and play one, so that leads me to two questions.

If you have a link to explain it to save you guys typing time that would be great.

But what's the difference in the Strat and Tele tonality and feel?

and

Which Fender guitars have similar necks to guitars such as the Martin HD-28 (sorry I know it's an acoustic but that's what I most often play)

I know some of you may be saying just go to a place and see for yourself, but like I said I have a smashed foto and can't get there let alone carry a guitar over to play with.

Thanks a lot
Its how you look and how you feel
Last edited by Hauf at Aug 20, 2007,
The Tele has a twangy sound on the bridge pickup, humbucker fullness with both pickups and a very warm tone on the neck pickup. It is very versatile. Im not a big fan of strats because I find it less versatile and every noob has a strat copy (that doesnt matter tho). I find every setting to sound the same on standard strats (SSS).
Acoustics usually have wider necks so its hard to compare. Fender necks are thin if that helps.
thanks that helps some.
Its how you look and how you feel
well almost any electric guitar you will pick up and play will have a neck much faster and easier to play on.
in acoustic guitars the neck is generally "slower" for a more "chordy" sound, i.e the neck will fit more for these, you'll have a harder time playing electric stuff (e.g solos) because, for example, the frets are higher, and you have to push it harder in order to play the note.
so i dont think you could find an electric guitar that will have a similar neck to an acoustic
you can always look at an acoustic-electric guitar, but i dont know how well it will go along with distortion.

now i don't know about the teles
but the strat is considered one of the most versatile instruments ever, specially if you have a humbucker on the bridge position.
you'll use it for the heavier stuff (e.g Metal)
and you can use the neck pickup (with or without the middle one) to play blues,
and the middle one to play acoustic etc..
im planning on buying the Fender American Deluxe Strat in HSS (also on standard american hss) , which features the S-1 Switch, that allows for a lot more pickup combinations than a standard 5-way 3-pickup fender
anyway, many electric guitar companies also sell thir popular models with diffrent neck-profile, thus meaning, that a standard gibson les paul has a so-calles 60's slim taper neck, a fast one, and theres a les paul with a 50's neck- which is a lot fatter and slower to play with, but has this diffrent sound, like, better for chords.
so you have no choice, but to go check the guitars someday,
at least you know that some guitars come with diffrent necks, and that the fender strat is a really great and hyper-versatile guitar!

Tim
Quote by EmeraldXecution
what the fuck does an auction
have to do with a drum battle?

god I wish I could post the pear here.....

Quote by roarinflames

btw youre avatar is great
couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey
I couldn't read that...I'm to mesmerized by your avatar...(in the gayest way possible)
i have a strat and a tele, the necks on the two feel very similar.

differences? - the tele does not feel quite as comfortable due to the strat's 'body contouring', plus the tele has more of a twangy country feel, i guess due to having only 2 pickups against 3 on the strat.

both great guitars, for me the necks are much better than gibsons.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
by the way, i think a tele limits you more from a versatility point of view, it is just emant to be that way, twangy sound for blues and light distortion
if you like these styles, then its probably the perfect gutiar for you, but if you want more versatility, go for the strat, which is a lot more versatile than the tele or any Les Paul.
Quote by EmeraldXecution

Quote by roarinflames

couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey
I couldn't read that...I'm to mesmerized by your avatar...(in the gayest way possible)
Quote by Tim_N
by the way, i think a tele limits you more from a versatility point of view, it is just emant to be that way, twangy sound for blues and light distortion
if you like these styles, then its probably the perfect gutiar for you, but if you want more versatility, go for the strat, which is a lot more versatile than the tele or any Les Paul.
Agreed - although Jimmy Page is well known for using a Tele to record alot, the bridge pickup handles distortion better.

I can get a surprisingly good Sabbath tone from a SSS Strat, it's ridiculously versatile. From Hendrix to Arctic Monkeys To Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, it can do anything with the right gear.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah, and if you get urself a Humbucker in the bridge (or just buy an HSS strat), itll give you practically all of the HSS's versatility, plus a lot more acoustic posibilities in the heavy/distorted/metal area
plain simply because i dont think that many use the SSS bridge pickup, i just think its sound isn't that good (although great when combined with the middle pickup, then acting as a part-time humbucker)
Quote by EmeraldXecution

Quote by roarinflames

couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey
Quote by Tim_N
yeah, and if you get urself a Humbucker in the bridge (or just buy an HSS strat), itll give you practically all of the HSS's versatility, plus a lot more acoustic posibilities in the heavy/distorted/metal area
plain simply because i dont think that many use the SSS bridge pickup, i just think its sound isn't that good (although great when combined with the middle pickup, then acting as a part-time humbucker)
Exactly, the bridge single, it's the Strat's weak point IMO. One fix is to change it for a Tele pup, or put a brass plate on the bottom to make it sound like a Tele pup - I'm trying this out.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Exactly, the bridge single, it's the Strat's weak point IMO. One fix is to change it for a Tele pup, or put a brass plate on the bottom to make it sound like a Tele pup - I'm trying this out.

i have never thought of this, but its a great idea!
the strat's bridge single coil has a quite medium twangy sound, which can be fixed ,as you said, by replacing it with a tele sound, for that real twang.

anyways, good luck!

Tim.
Quote by EmeraldXecution

Quote by roarinflames

couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey