ok so i can play bar chords perfectly the only thing is i can't put them in an order to make them sound good. what can i do about that? the other things i i know some people use barre chords for rock but when i turn on the distortion and play barre chords it doesn't sound good at all
Haha what? You mean you want to make a riff or something using barre chords?

As for the distortion problem, maybe its just your amp, if it's a really low grade one it can make anything sound ****ty. If you have a some-what decent amp then try messing with the gain to get a good sound. Or you might just be doing the chords wrong, although that wouldn't make sense if they sound fine clean.
Last edited by muppet master at Aug 19, 2007,
maybe it doesnt sound good when you play them because you're using the wrong chords
i make up lots of stuff using barre chords. I never really viewed them as a real technique, as i found them very simple. Try making up some clean arpegios with barre chords, then strum them with some overdrive, but make sure its the right amount of distortion, thats probably why yours dont sound good.
you just gotta experiment and find something you like.
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
For now all I can tell you is that you have to use trial and error to get a good chord progression if you don't know any musical theory.
Other that that, I'm pretty sure you're talking about the sound you get from playing whole barre chords using distortion, which sometimes doesn't sound well at all. Most "people that use chords for rock" as you say are using power chords for their songs. Power chords are the two or three lowest notes of pretty much any barre chord you are trying to play.
Hope this helps.
Quote by XnaySaturo
For now all I can tell you is that you have to use trial and error to get a good chord progression if you don't know any musical theory.
Other that that, I'm pretty sure you're talking about the sound you get from playing whole barre chords using distortion, which sometimes doesn't sound well at all. Most "people that use chords for rock" as you say are using power chords for their songs. Power chords are the two or three lowest notes of pretty much any barre chord you are trying to play.
Hope this helps.

i use some power chords and i sound good with those but power chords are meant for punk rock
Quote by A-Chilton
i use some power chords and i sound good with those but power chords are meant for punk rock

Not always. Power chords can work in most musical types.
Hey Meg.
Proud of you.
well u can u barre chords for acoustic stuff like say room on the third floor is barre chords

this is just random but try

----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
-----3333-3-3-3------------------------------
--------------------------5555555---------3333--111111111111

thats just powerchords but try it
whoever plays barre chords with distortion should be institutionalized, barre chords>clean. power chords>distortion
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Get a book/tutor/dvd/the columns and lessons on UG and learn theory.

It's pointless in my opinion to learn stuff but not learn the theroy behind it.

Every song I teach myself I then also go through the thery behind it with my tutor, and that helps me know more about how to do my own stuff when I come to it (which I haven't yet to any special degree.)

Theory is interesting, more intersting than you expect, and depending how you learn it, it can even be kinda fun.

-sc00t