I just got my new Ibanez prestige RGR1570.

Now I'm thinking about getting new pickups in the future.

The guitar has a basswood body and maple neck w/ rosewood fretboard. Pickup config. is HSH

I like to play mostly melodic death.

I'm thinking between:
Seymour Duncan
bridge - Distortion or Full Shred
mid - Vintage Staggered?
neck - Full Shred

DiMarzio
bridge - Tone Zone
mid - Blue Velvet?
neck - PAF Pro

I'm also thinking about just changing bridge/neck since I don't really use the mid much except for clean.

Which set should I go with?

Also, anyone tried the new Seymour Duncan Blackouts? What do you think of them?
Last edited by The 1 at Aug 19, 2007,
Yeah get some of those EMG pickups with that new fangled package called a jackson or a schecter. Kidding of course but man those pickups are rough you got I admit.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Honestly, i think Evos all the way. great versatility. But all the selections you have there would work just fine as well.
What type of music do you play?

(I don't really know anything about pickups, but answering this question will help those who do)
I don't find the stock pickups terrible either, but I feel that they are lacking a bit. I'm not necessarily in a rush to change the pickups but I think I'd like to sooner or later.

Style is as I said mostly melodic death. If I had to choose my favorite bands are Insomnium, Opeth, and Wintersun so I guess I like their sounds.

My amp is a Crate XT65R. It's not great but I like it and it works for me.

Do you think I would be able to hear new pickups through my amp? If it won't make much difference than I'll hold off, but I'm not going to be getting a new amp soon.
^ Save for a new valve amp first, the stock pickup's or a set of SD will sound the same on a crate XT65R..
Quote by The 1
Do you think I would be able to hear new pickups through my amp? If it won't make much difference than I'll hold off, but I'm not going to be getting a new amp soon.

Ah, you're an open minded man. Most people don't realize that, or refuse to listen to users on here when they tell them that.
I'd hold off on new pickups, until you got a nice amp.
Specially cause pickups are an expensive investment, IMO. 150 bucks is a lot to spend, that could go towards a new amp.
Alright, thanks. I'm going to hold off on new pickups for now.
^wise choice

You could always swap the magnets in the neck and bridge pickups. That will give you a neck pickup that is basically a PAF Pro. The neck will sound louder and warmer with much better clean tones. The bridge pickup will not be so muddy and it'll have higher output as well.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 20, 2007,
^ Not sure about the magnet swap? Or not sure what I'm talking about?
Quote by MiasmA
Honestly, i think Evos all the way. great versatility. But all the selections you have there would work just fine as well.

Plus one

Evo sound great for meol death stuff. Check out some live WinterSun vids where he's using a Jem
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by godofshred
you swap the neck and bridge magnets?

also, how do i get it off the pickup, it wont budge.

The wax can hold things in place pretty tight. You just have to pry the thing off.

Quote by godofshred
done it, wow

So you like it then? I've been suggesting this mod for who knows how long and you are the 1st person I know of that tried it.

Isn't it amazing what different magnets can do.
^Would that be the same as switching the bridge and the neck?

Is it difficult to switch the magnets?

This would be my first time ever dealing with pickups so I'm worried that I'll take it apart and then not be able to put it together.
No, it's not the same as just switching the bridge and the neck.

In a lot of ways switching the magnets is easier that switching pickups because the only tool you need is a screw driver.

Take out the 4 screws on the bottom of the pickup, gently pull the bobbins away from the bass plate, and then take the magent out and put it in the other pickups.

The only trick to switching magnets is that you have to be sure that the magnets poles don't get flipped over. I like to use a pen to mark the magnet. I put a line on the side of the magnet that faces the adjustable poles. Then when I put the magnet in the other pickup, I make sure the mark I put on the magnet faces the adjustible poles. It's pretty simple.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The wax can hold things in place pretty tight. You just have to pry the thing off.

So you like it then? I've been suggesting this mod for who knows how long and you are the 1st person I know of that tried it.

Isn't it amazing what different magnets can do.

its cool in the bridge, but i messed up the neck pup somehow!
its low output and sounds like a singlecoil now... i cought the surround and the coils on the pup, so i think thats why haha
Ok. I took the back off the pickups and I think I see the magnet. From what I see it's covered in wax, so how do I pry it off? What do I use?
Last edited by The 1 at Aug 20, 2007,
Alright I did it. It went well and was easier than I thought.

Is the wax just to hold things together?

Thanks for the idea corduroy and help godofshred.
Quote by halfstepdown88
If you switch the neck and bridge pickup magnets it makes it that much better? I have an rg1570, and the wax thing will that cause any problems? I'm actually considering this

Nah, no problems. It's not like the magnet is gonna move...I'd assume.

If it were me, I'd repot the pickup, which isn't really that big of a hassle, anyway. But that's just me.
Quote by godofshred
its low output and sounds like a singlecoil now... i cought the surround and the coils on the pup, so i think thats why haha

You cut the coils?!??!?!?! Your pickup is half broken, and yes, now it is a single coil.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by godofshred

You probably just pulled one of the leads a little and it can probably be fixed with a little bit of solder. If you send it to me I'll fix it for you and ship it back with your seven string pups.

BTW, I'm making them for you on thursday.
Quote by halfstepdown88
If you switch the neck and bridge pickup magnets it makes it that much better? I have an rg1570, and the wax thing will that cause any problems? I'm actually considering this

I'm noticing an increase in output in the bridge and the neck seems a bit more clear. I wouldn't say it's that much better, but I do think it's better than it was stock.
It's really easy and quick, so why not go for it.

As with the wax, I just yanked out the magnets from the wax and switched them. I got a small flat screwdriver and got it under the magnet between the coils and then just pulled up. I didn't repot and I don't hear any excess noise but be careful not to pull/damage the wires.
Quote by The 1
I'm noticing an increase in output in the bridge and the neck seems a bit more clear. I wouldn't say it's that much better, but I do think it's better than it was stock.
It's really easy and quick, so why not go for it.

As with the wax, I just yanked out the magnets from the wax and switched them. I got a small flat screwdriver and got it under the magnet between the coils and then just pulled up. I didn't repot and I don't hear any excess noise but be careful not to pull/damage the wires.

Well, you still playing through the same amp.
I bet if you were to play it through a good amp, you'd notice a bigger change.