so im a big journey fan, and 80s in general, and i was wondering how to get the bass sound, especially in the song dont stop believing.
Try to look up the bass player; none other than American Idol judge Randy Jackson. He's actually rather outspoken and has interesting opinions about the bass. He's not the complacent and friendly token-black-guy the TV show makes him out to be. Check out some if his interviews!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..

No, whatever the hell that hairdo's called. God, Randy Jackson playing a Jackson bass. How tacky!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
This thread brought back some really cheesey moments of a decade which I did happen to live through...for the record:

Ross Valory is the bass player for Journey. Randy Jackson performed with them a few times, and I believe, since he was a producer in the Bay Area at the time, may have been involved in some of the groups record productions. Don't quote me on that though.

The haircut Mr. Jackson displayed during the decade was a modified version of a hip hop hairstyle known as the "fade".
Yeah, Randy Jackson only played with Journey for one tour or something. I've read an interview with him in a Bass Guitar magazine and he seems like a bit of a jerkoff.
I'm fairly sure cocaine is required. Doubly so if you aren't black.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Yes its true my parents are huge journey fans, Randy jackson performed a couple of times with journey but was never there permanent bassist. If you get their dvd on the back it says Also starring randy jackson but his name isnt with the other band members.
Quote by thefitz
God, Randy Jackson playing a Jackson bass. How tacky!

He uses Mike Lull basses now.