Lately I've noticed that my guitar has hardly any sustain. With the guitar unplugged I get about 4-5 seconds sustain and with it plugged in I get a bit more of course because I can add gain. But I was wondering what I should do. I've heard that you can raise the action to get more sustain, but I think that the problem is in the guitar. My guitar is this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417 . Its a really cheap guitar but its still pretty playable apart from the lack of sustain. So should I try to do something to it or maybe getting something like a mahogany guitar with a stopbar tailpiece/ les paul to get as a new guitar. Thx for any help.
check how deep your strings are sitting in the nut, if they are buried pretty far, thats gonna kill your sustain, the idea is that the less contact your strings make with the nut, and any other place on the guitar, the more sustain you will get.
John Petrucci Fanclub (Member #2), PM chase09 to join
Replace your strings.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

^^ yeah, try replacing strings.
If that doesn't work, just live with it. Doesn't really matter about sustain anyway. It's just because it's a cheap guitar like everyone has at the start. If you really want sustain, get something with neck-thru/set neck and a wood like mahogany. But don't worry, it's not like you need loads of sustain.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
I replaced my strings twice in the past couple days and it didn't make much difference. And the sustain issue is really annoying because my bends don't sound as good as they should even though I tested my self on a tuner to make sure that I was getting the right notes on my bends. It just seems to die out some. I'm gonna try and get a replacement nut today.
the main problem is probably the guitar. Sorry to bash it, but that thing is pretty cheap.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
hmm i think you guys are wrong, check this thing that is written on a SIT (Stay In Tune) brand electric guitar strings box:
start high on the key post and end up coming off the bottom. this will bring the string down tighter on the finger nut producing cleaner sound, more sustain and tuning stability
Quote by EmeraldXecution
what the fuck does an auction
have to do with a drum battle?

god I wish I could post the pear here.....

Quote by roarinflames

btw youre avatar is great
couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey
I couldn't read that...I'm to mesmerized by your avatar...(in the gayest way possible)
Um, 4 or 5 seconds is about right for an unplugged electric.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It is? Because thats picking almost as hard as I can. And when the note does die out it doesn't do it very gradually, especially on bends the note will die quickly no matter what I do.
I just whacked my Iceman and got about 6, but that's a mahogany body, set neck and a fixed bridge...anything with a trem would be a bit less.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

So what should I do about my bends then, add vibrato?

When I was using a Palomino V16 and Gibson Les paul at GC the other day everything sounded perfect but with my stuff I don't get that little bluesy edge/bite that I hear on most other guitars.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Aug 20, 2007,
That's the amp, the Palomino is a tube amp and is perfect for those edgy, broken up tones. A solid state amp like the cube can't even dream of replicating them. Your best investment would probably be a cheap tube amp like a Valve Junior.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ooooh so maybe I was right in thinking that my amp didn't have enough warmth/oomph.

I'm gonna go to a local guitar store today but the only little tube amps they have are the Peavey VK Royal 8 and Fender Champ 600. But maybe I'll try them both and see how it is.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Aug 20, 2007,
They're both good, make sure you take your guitar with you too so you know exactly how they'll sound with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc