Alright, everyone, our next song is about sticking it to the man , blunts babes and rocking out!

*drummer bangs his sticks*

1 2 3 4 !

*beat continues*

1 2 3 4
"Drinking beer I'm outta control, this is how we rock and roll"...etc etc

Sounds like a wonderful piece of music, but something is bland. That rhythm, that time signature is so bland , so very 80s - ish . No one wants to be associated with the band Poison or Quiet Riot.

So Danny boy and I (bluesrocker101) got to talking and wondered:

How do us humble musicians Save Our Sound?

So we suited up and got to work.

We scratched our heads. I looked up, he looked down. He called me names, I felt sad. So we went out for ice cream and I got sick. Then suddenly, in a divine moment of brainfreeze, it dawned on me:

Time Signatures!

We've been getting lots of threads about time signatures lately, and there has been some great explanations of what they are, and what everything means. There has been one thing lacking though, and that's the practical element. So this simple thread has been proposed where we can share our favourite and more dangerous rhythms in less common time signatures. Because of the neutrality of rhythms, this little collection will be able to help jazzers, prog rockers, and classical enthusiasts all the same.

I recommend that when practicing any of these you always play each of the down beats by either palm muting the chord/note of your choosing, or just playing the root note of your chord. Then, for the accents (which will be indicated by bold font) you take of your palm mute, or play the full chord. I'll start us off (A refers to the AND of a beat, because + signs do not come in bold)

[size="4"]7/8 rhythms[/SIZE]

[b]1[/b]  2  [b]3[/b]  4  [b]5[/b] 6  7

[b]1[/b] 2  3  [b]4[/b] 5  [b]6[/b]  7 

[b]1[/b]  2  [b]A  3[/b]  4  [b]5[/b]   6  [b]A  7[/b] (repeat this one for full effect)

1  [b]A[/b]  2  [b]3[/b]  4   5  [b]A  6   7[/b]

[size="4"]5/8 rhythms[/SIZE] 

[b]1[/b]  2  [b]3[/b]  4   5  [b]A[/b]

[b]1[/b]  2  3  4  [b]5[/b]

Throw your ideas on the board. We are now accepting orphaned rhythms who are compatible with Odd Time Housing™.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Excellent. Our idea is posted. Alrighty , my favorites the second one (I wanted to post it )

Its extremely simple, but the way it chugs is great, imo. DA da da DA da DA da...
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Sep 3, 2007,
I don't think I really understand the way you type this out .

4/4:
12 A 34 A (dotted quarter/eighth/dotted quarter/eighth)

is that how you type them out in numbers? lol
^For the sake of this thread, we are trying to avoid 4/4 .

The numbers are the down beats. If you wanted to subdivide into 16ths it would be

1 E A U 2 E A U 3 E A U

etc.

7/8 is fun to play in. I'm a drummer and I've played a lot of classical pieces in 7/8. 7/4 is worth trying too. It's really weird but it's got a unique feel. Or 5/4. 2/2 (cut time) is weird until you get the hang of it (if you're the reading music...if you're just listening it's not any different than 4/4). 3/4 isn't really used that much in modern music...6/8 and 12/8 are but not 3/4...weird. Part of the breakdown in "Death Blooms" by Mudvayne is in 29/16. Good luck with counting that out. And the intro to "Communion and The Oracle" by Symphony X is in 21/8. Just do a search on odd time meters or time signatures and listen to the songs.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Quote by brokenanthem
7/8 is fun to play in. I'm a drummer and I've played a lot of classical pieces in 7/8. 7/4 is worth trying too. It's really weird but it's got a unique feel. Or 5/4. 2/2 (cut time) is weird until you get the hang of it (if you're the reading music...if you're just listening it's not any different than 4/4). 3/4 isn't really used that much in modern music...6/8 and 12/8 are but not 3/4...weird. Part of the breakdown in "Death Blooms" by Mudvayne is in 29/16. Good luck with counting that out. And the intro to "Communion and The Oracle" by Symphony X is in 21/8. Just do a search on odd time meters or time signatures and listen to the songs.

I was trying to figure that one out yesterday! (Remember, Justus?) Thanks. I got something like 5/4 then it alternated to another time sig (which I currently forget).
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Sep 3, 2007,
Yeah, 5/4 (you know, Take Five) and 9/8 are pretty nice too.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
What, you pussays are still playing in ONE time sig at once?

Pah! *flounce off*

Theres some good stuff by Shaun Baxter in Guitar Techniques magazine quite recently on X/16 time sigs, good stuff for any brits out there.

I don't have any favourite/dangerous rhythms, but its a good idea to make the original post a bit clearer for those who have problems with time sigs, rather than spreading cool rhythms among those people who don't. Or links to threads with much explain also? Cool idea, definately.
Funny, last time I checked it was everyone else that needed little pieces of plastic to play the big mean guitar, who's the pusssaay now?! Hah

Yea, good idea. I will find some articles or something that clear up time sigs, but I dont want that to be the aim of this thread. Your suggestion is worthwhile.

Oh, and thanks for gracing us with your presence, Freepower

On the subject of time signatures, the lower number (say the "8" in 7/8) is how many quarter notes can be in a measure, right? if so, how do you fit 8 into 7 beats?

i'm probably mistaken though.
what about 3/4?

And how about you include a list of well known songs in each time signature??
For example:
7/8 - Money - pink floyd
3/4 - Lucy in the sky with diamonds - the beatles (1st verse)

kinda like that?
Quote by Spamwise
On the subject of time signatures, the lower number (say the "8" in 7/8) is how many quarter notes can be in a measure, right? if so, how do you fit 8 into 7 beats?

i'm probably mistaken though.

You are indeed mistakened. The numbers in a time signature stand for how many beats and what each beat is represented by. The top number is how many beats and the bottom number is what type of note each beat represents. In the case of 7/8, it is seven eighth notes a bar. Hope I helped clear it up for you.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Quote by cubs
what about 3/4?

And how about you include a list of well known songs in each time signature??
For example:
7/8 - Money - pink floyd
3/4 - Lucy in the sky with diamonds - the beatles (1st verse)

kinda like that?

Radiohead - Black Star - 6/4
Any waltz out there - 3/4
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by nightwind
Oh, and thanks for gracing us with your presence, Freepower

I think you'll find my intrawebz has a sarcasm detector, and you just tripped it. Screw you guys, i'm going home.

But not before i point out that the brilliant "Fives" by Guthrie Govan is played

1 2 3 4 5

Both a dangerous rhythm (you kids and your lingo nowadays! ) and a well known song in a odd time sig. Or one that should be well known anyway.