I think there are many musicians who wouldn't be nearly as loved or popular if there hadn't been a story to tell about them. Some examples:

Kurt Cobain - I'm not saying he's bad at all, but I don't think he would be as popular hadn't it been for the suicide, and the deep and emotional feeling of his music associated to him afterwards.

Ludwig Van Beethoven - I love his music, and I truly believe he is one of the greatest composers of all time, yet it seems like I hear his name more than any composer just a prolific, if not moreso than him, such as Johann Sebastian Bach, Johannes Brahms and other giants of the classical era. The story of him with tinnutis gave him a popularity boost.

Jim Morrison - Honestly, I like the Doors, but Jim Morrison is made out to be one of the greatest songwriters in Rock music, but in my opinion, he isn't even the greatest in The Doors. His lyrics/poetry are often associated with a high complexity and meaning we cannot understand, yet I personal believe lots of it is just rubbish. Robby Krieger, I believe, was a superior songwriter. And Jim Morrison's behavior and death certainly gave him the popularity boost this thread is referring to.
Pretty much any famous musician
This is just unacceptable:
[img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4410/unfairhy9.jpg[/img]
Dimebag, if that fucker didn't die most people still wouldnt know about him
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
dimebag
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by leftybassdude

**** you
ESP Ltd Viper 100FM w/ EMG 81 in bridge
Peavey 5150 combo
if paul gilbert didn't shred so hard, no one would know about him!
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by leftybassdude

Your an ass. He is just plain good, I started to listen to Pantera and i loved his work. I realized after that he had died. Asshole.
metallica if it werent for thier many misadventures
love em tho
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Tom delonge wouldnt be famous if they werent compared to green day so much, or if he didnt suck so much at guitar.
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Quote by leftybassdude

Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by nexteyenate

sigged
Quote by nexteyenate

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
I'm still trying to figure out what stevie ray vaugh actually did...
I heard a million covers...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by leftybassdude
sigged

that's like the fifth time i was sigged in two days. i should win an award for being sigged the most times or something
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
It's about ****ing time someone agreed with me about Jim Morrison..

Anyway: Syd Barrett. He went Crazy, and that's the only reason anyone really still cares.. Not saying that his music wasn't badass, as I'm a big fan. I'm just saying that's really one of the only reasons he's still so popular.

I get the same feeling about Frank Zappa, he was badass as hell, my favorite musician of all time, but I doubt anyone would really care about him if it wasn't for the weirdness involved with him. That's really all I hear about when I mention his name.. That or "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow." It really gets annoying, because they don't talk about him in the way he deserves, they talk about him being a comedian or something.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
I'm still trying to figure out what stevie ray vaugh actually did...
I heard a million covers...

have you ever heard any of his music???? THATS WHAT HE DID
plus he died in a helicpter crash after a show with clapton
Quote by nexteyenate
that's like the fifth time i was sigged in two days. i should win an award for being sigged the most times or something

the award should be "Kissing The Most Ass"
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Sparta/At The Drive-In.. If people didn't know these two bands had some kind of connection to the afros of Cedric and Omar, no one would care.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

buckethead without his bucket? damn hes amazing though
What are you... some stalker?
Quote by SOADwannabe
the award should be "Kissing The Most Ass"

but this is the first time i was ever sigged for praising somebody
Quote by Killian5-0

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Dime, without a doubt. Good guitarist, but overrated.

Anthony Keidis, and infact most of the chili peppers, had pretty fucked up childhoods, if he hadnt had that we wouldnt have the RHCP we have today.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
segovia- I think he wouldn't be know if it wasn't for the fact that he was kinda of a dick. I don't really like him. and your video reminded me about him. very good job by the way. how long have you been playing?
Quote by The Madcap
Kurt Cobain - I'm not saying he's bad at all, but I don't think he would be as popular hadn't it been for the suicide, and the deep and emotional feeling of his music associated to him afterwards.

Kurt Cobain is one of the most overrated musicians ever imo. And, Dimebag. He's good, yeah, but nothing too special imo. Yeah, it's tragic that he got his face blown off, and it sucks, but I think it had a lot to do with it.

And most pop-punk bands like Green Day, Blink-182, etc. I mean, the guys from Blink-182 have their own signature guitars, and they both have like, 1 pick-up, and do nothing special in their playing. What a load.
Ummm.. Slipknot, their masks.. Nuff said..

Same with Gwar.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by The Madcap
. His lyrics/poetry are often associated with a high complexity and meaning we cannot understand, yet I personal believe lots of it is just rubbish. .

DING DING.

WE HAVE WINNAR.

Most of his 'poetry' is a load of drugged up and irrelevant balls.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
OH! Marilyn Manson.. We all know why..
Quote by vintage x metal

ummmmmmmmm KISS!
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Sid Vicious. Pretty much any musician who died young, before they had enough of a chance to be overexposed.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...