Alright, so i have saved up roughly $1000 (canadian) over the past month. I'm looking in purchasing a stack for gigging. preferably a 4x10. So.. i'd like as many recommendations as possible around this price range. but preferably below a $1000 price tag.

Oh, and if it helps, i'll be playing all types of music. From jazz, to metal, to funk. I'd like something with nice sounding highs. Something thats LOUD. Something that has a funk punch to it, yet can deliver boomy like metal bass.

thanks
I really want to suggest the same thing I do to everyone. I hate being repedative, but I was looking for the exact same thing with the exact same budget and spent months researching it.

I decided on a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II and an Avatar cabinet.

You could get the 700RB-II or the 400RB if you want, its all a matter of volume preference. I wanted practically unlimited headroom, so I went with the 1001. The 700 has a more realistic amount of volume, and sounds exactly the same. The 400 is different tonaly, and has an even lower volume than the 700. GK amps will cover the versatility aspect of your playing. My GK suits me well in all of those styles. I like to think of it as a chameleon kind of amp.

As far as cabinets go, you could get a 4x10 Avatar cabinet for $400. Its one of those things you have to hear to believe. Read as many of the reviews you need to convince you: Avatar makes quality products. The Neo series of 4x10's are built with neodymium speakers that deliver AWESOME midrange clarity, which will give you that "funk punch" you're looking for.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com
http://avatarspeakers.com/Bass%20Guitar%20Magazine.htm

To everyone else: $1000 CAN = $945 USD

EDIT: after doing a little bit of research, I learned that the only place to get Avatar cabinets in Canada is from here: http://steamcomusic.com/avatar/index.html, and they cost quite a bit more there. $589 CAN ($550USD). About 150 dollars more. I guess that whole thing ruins my plan =[[[ sorry...

I guess you could just get the 700RB and a 2x10 Avatar... same punch, just a little less low end for the metal.

sorry hahaha. i tried.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Well, the thing is i'd really prefer not to buy things like this online. i'm going into the city tomorrow to hopefully make a purchase. the amp brands for bass they have there is:

SWR
Hartke
Ampeg
David Eden
Crate
Ashdown

thanks a lot for your input though. really useful.
Well, in that case, look at Eden and SWR. The Edens might be a little out of your pricerange, but if you paired an Eden WT head with an SWR 4x10, you'd have QUITE the amp. You might want to give that a try.

Pretty low volume for an Ampeg. Also, very limited amp tonally. Read some of the reviews on that site. Its a good value, but probably the worst Ampeg stack you could purchase... Very basic tone.

Get a Laney man there awesome for the metal tones and have a real punch to them when you
are doing funk and stuff like that !!!
umm the B2RE+SVT410HLF awsome sound! the 3pro is better but the b2re gets close enough untill you can go "pro" lol

i also recomend a basson speaker cab. they are not that popular but OH MY !$%$% GOD do they sound good if i could do it all over again i would get a basson speaker cab instead of the ampeg 8x10 for sure. basson cabs are pricey tho.

if i was you i would totally check used. go to used.guitarcenter.com evrything there works and if there is an issue they resolve it fast sometimes they exted the 30day moneyback returns for items that break in the 1st couple months i have purchesed alot through them and they are great.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Well, i settled on this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034

ordered it today. it's got awesome reviews and the guy there said he sells many ashdown MAGS and knows they're great amps. I'm probably going to invest in a 115 cabinet as well, because the mag can support an additional cabinet extention.

Which brands should i look into for a 115 that goes well with a 410?
Probably an Ashdown 1x15... the ABM if you can afford it. The MAG would work too, though.

The one thing about that amp you'll realize instantly, is that it weighs 100 pounds. Not one for carrying up stairs.

lol, well i'd have another person helping me of course if we were going up stairs. 100lbs isn't that heavy. i've carried furniture that's weight much more than that up and down stairs many times, moving and such.
Good choice then!

Can you get soundclips up when it comes?

i suggest a behringer or what me and thefitz have, the Fender Bassman 250.

its 625 watts of pure bass, it can shake pictures off the walls , and its dead sexy

EDIT: I play funk, soul, pep band, and death metal and its perfect for me since thats what you said you needed
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Too late buddy, he's gone for the Ashdown. And a fine choice too!
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Good choice then!

Can you get soundclips up when it comes?

yeah for sure man.
K. I'm still waiting on the amp. It's an expected 10-14 days from the day of order. (business days i think, maybe not. I ordered it on Monday).

Anyways, when we play as a band, the majority of our stuff is in Drop D tuning. Question is - How well do 4x10's handle Drop D?

My peavey 112 handles it alright, not the best. It gets quite muddy at high volumes, but it's only 75watts and doesn't have much volume to be heard over a drummer very well anyways..

ALSO.. One other question - What's the whole deal with the sub-harmonic generator Ashdowns have? Can someone please explain to me in english exactly what this does, and how i'd benefit from it?

thanks
Quote by -zj*
K. I'm still waiting on the amp. It's an expected 10-14 days from the day of order. (business days i think, maybe not. I ordered it on Monday).

Anyways, when we play as a band, the majority of our stuff is in Drop D tuning. Question is - How well do 4x10's handle Drop D?

My peavey 112 handles it alright, not the best. It gets quite muddy at high volumes, but it's only 75watts and doesn't have much volume to be heard over a drummer very well anyways..

ALSO.. One other question - What's the whole deal with the sub-harmonic generator Ashdowns have? Can someone please explain to me in english exactly what this does, and how i'd benefit from it?

thanks

Plenty of bassists play in very heavy bands and use 10" speakers, and dropped D isn't that much of a drop - 4x10's can handle low B's on five strings easily enough.

The sub-harmonic generator on Ashdowns seems to generate a signal an octave down from whatever you're playing and mixes it in, working as a kind of mega low end boost.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I got my ABM half-stack this morning and I've been playing about with the sub-harmonics and it does just what caustic said. It's great if you want to subtly fatten your sound and add a bit more depth to the top end.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!