well just out of curiosity i wanted your opinion on how your doing so far with guitar
i know a lot of basic theory such as
basic to advanced bar chords
7 major modes
penetonic
blues
arrpegio major
arrpegio minor
5ths scales
bar chords
4ths scales
minor scales
diatonic soloing scales e and a
complete scales c and d
ediatonic scale
can play the trooper(without solos)
wasted years(with solo)
virus(with solo)
learning pain killer
i also tought myself pinch and natural harmonics.
I've been playing since November 2nd.
how am i doing anything else i should know/learn
i do write some of my own songs
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Your doing better than most proffessional guitarists if you know that many scales and chords, just learn a few more songs by a variety of artists and keep working on writing your own stuff. Have you really only been playing less less than a year? Most people can't play open chords for two years, nevermind scales and songs such as The Trooper and Wasted Years!! I'd say your doing pretty dam well if you really have been playing less than a year.
yea its the honest to god truth
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Thinking you can play something and actually being able to play it are different things...and either way, it doesn't matter about how fast you're progressing. Just stop being self concious and enjoy the guitar. Have fun with it and if you stay dedicated within a couple of years you will be really good.

Just don't worry about it too much.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Awesome, been playing longer than me and you know more than me. I need to learn more of this kinda stuff asap!
Quote by joelfaessler
I've been playing for like 10 years and I don't know all those scales and ****

There just seems to be too many modes, diminished scales, augmented this and that.

I'd never remember it all and it just doesn't seems useful to me so I can't be bothered with it.

I do know the minor scales all the way up the guitar though, as that is very useful to me.

To be honest, I'm sure there are plenty of people who know tons of theory but cannot write music and have no natural ability in it. I would say that as I'm not a theory man.
Quote by silvertoness11

7 major modes
complete scales c and d

Make sure you are not memorizing more than you have to with scales, because all of the 7 modes can come from just one scale pattern. I wish I knew what all that stuff was when I first started, It would've helped a fuck load but if you want to know how good you are, post a video or a recording in the riffs and recording forum.
Last edited by shoted at Aug 20, 2007,