Hey fellas,

I've been playing for about 2 months now and I have always rested my guitar on my right leg when sitting down. Today I met an old guitarist who is pretty damn good and he told me I should spread my legs (nothing kinky :P) and rest it on my left thigh....I've tried it but it feels really un-natural and just plain awkward.

My question is- does it make an insane ammount of difference which way I play it? Long-term, will playing on my right leg have an effect on my playing? Will I reach a point at which it will lemitate my playing?

Thanks
Resting it on your left leg will let you concentrate more on your right hand which is better for the long run.

And also when you get those weird shaped guitar such as V, razorback etc, they wont stay on your right leg. you'd have to hold the guitar in between your two legs

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

That's just a more classical influenced way of doing it. If you talk to him he'll probably have been taught classical guitar when he was younger.

Both ways are just as valid.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I don't think it matters, and to the guy above me, I just put V's, Razorbacks, and stuff on my right leg anyways, i just angle the guitar a little bit to where its comfortable.
That's probably bad though, so threadstarter learn with it on your left leg.
Practice standing up.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by p.stick
Resting it on your left leg will let you concentrate more on your right hand which is better for the long run.

And also when you get those weird shaped guitar such as V, razokrback etc, they wont stay on your right leg. you'd have to hold the guitar in between your two legs

You can easily put that on your right leg.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Ok, maybe not razorback then...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
Ok, maybe not razorback then...

Its actually as easy as a Les Paul or Strat lol.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
I use both positions, but I usually practice standing up unless I get tired and have to sit. I equate the two positions being similar to using your leg to lift the guitar up when you're standing to get better access to the upper frets.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
thanks for all the replies guys

I will deff try playing standing up as soon as ill get myself a strap lock....otherwise I get too carried away and usually end up rocking out so hard that I have to catch my guitar in mid-air...

and by rocking out I mean playing jingle bells as loud as my amp allows with heavy distortion
^ Aint nothing wrong with that. I did a gig one time where after we did a song, I just spur of the moment played the Barney song (I love you, you love me, were a great big familiy) complete with heavy distortion, headbanging, and screaming pinch harmonics.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
This thread has been quite helpful; I was recently wondering about practicing guitar whilst sitting lol, I use an ESP LTD AX50 and have always kind of just wedged it between my legs haha, although I find it puts a bit of a strain on my left hand at times. Although when I rest it on my right leg, it seems to slide around and I can't get comfortable.
Playing with it over your left leg is more akin to playing standing up because of the angle of your guitar neck. But either way is acceptable. Play however you find it comfortable.