Have you ever learned a song that took forever to learn, but doesn't have anything too technical in it? Tool's Vicarious is taking awhile for me to learn, but there isn't anything especially strenuous in there. The timing is just so damned weird

Anyone else have experiences like this?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Time signs screw me over the most. It's not much, but it took me like 10 minutes just to play the intro of YYZ, which consists of 2 notes.
I mostly learn covers when I have to for my band and the toughest one yet is Orion. Not a very technical song, but the interlude part took a while to memorize.

And nice to see you back in action, Ben
I'd say the verse of YYZ. It's not technically difficult as it's the same place on the bass- not much moving around. But it's the rhythm that I can't get, it's too quick.
signature
^+1 Seeing I sent you the music, but getting a good articulation and phrasing on it is a bitch.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
No freakin' kidding. It's almost impossible to do it the way he does on sax. Especially because all the little nuances he plays can't really be written down never mind played on a different instrument.
I never try and play it exactly the same but to make it sound good rather than just a series of notes is hard.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Lendorav
I mostly learn covers when I have to for my band and the toughest one yet is Orion. Not a very technical song, but the interlude part took a while to memorize.

And nice to see you back in action, Ben

I always just improvise during it. Can never remember it exactly
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
To tell you the truth I can never remember when to play which fills since I hardly listen to the song these days so I just improvise and no one seems to notice
For SOME reason, the fast bit in Seek and Destroy(where the tempo goes to 208) is an absolute bitch for me to play. I nail the rest of the song, just that bit confuses me for some reason, and I never get it 100% right.
For me it's the last solo in Orion when Cliff is doing a duet with the guitars. I don't really know how to explain exactly which part but its right after they duet on a descending line. Yeah I highly doubt that made any sence
Quote by Hergiswi
Time signs screw me over the most. It's not much, but it took me like 10 minutes just to play the intro of YYZ, which consists of 2 notes.

Me too, less than 10 minutes, but enough to make me feel bad.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Hergiswi

I have the same problem...
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
china cat sunflower/i know you rider - the grateful dead

the time is crazy uhno how they do it. got china down but the jam into i know you rider is hard
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I found learning 'Hammer Smashed Face' in EADG tuning quite a challange. It's not a hard song, just when the bass is tuned EADG it's hard to hit the right notes and keep up the speed.
There is no sin but stupidity.
Quote by RJayZ
For SOME reason, the fast bit in Seek and Destroy(where the tempo goes to 208) is an absolute bitch for me to play. I nail the rest of the song, just that bit confuses me for some reason, and I never get it 100% right.

you sure youre playing it on the right part of the neck? whenever something is giveing me a hard time i try to find a different place on neck to play it and it usually works. thats what i did on this part. i play this song on my 5 string and it is cake

anyone else going thru all theese songs and adding them to the list of songs to learn? im DLing on powertab now
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Aug 20, 2007,
Hm, I'll have to test out different ways to play it I think. I think it's the rythm of it more than anything.
Now that I think of it, another problem I had was "American Life" by Primus. I tried to play it for weeks before realizing that instead of using the 5th fret, I could just use an open string.
Quote by Emergancy Exit

anyone else going thru all theese songs and adding them to the list of songs to learn? im DLing on powertab now

Both my band and the "I Need Songs to Learn" Thread have kept me busy enough there

Finally finished learning Vicarious! *dances*
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
The rhythm to Battery has always been hard for me. An eighth note followed by two sixteenth notes and then another eighth note at 200 bpm - not very fast but still its pretty hard to get a hold of the rhythm.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Dave Brubecks "Blue Rondo A la Turk" gives me problems every time. Walking in 9/8 just doesn't sit well with me at all. I can do it, but I have to concentrate really hard.

And the 9/8 to 4/4 and back switch throws me for a huge loop. Stupid extra 8th note.
Quote by elemenohpee
Dave Brubecks "Blue Rondo A la Turk" gives me problems every time. Walking in 9/8 just doesn't sit well with me at all. I can do it, but I have to concentrate really hard.

And the 9/8 to 4/4 and back switch throws me for a huge loop. Stupid extra 8th note.

Walking in 9/8? That's insanity. I can't even walk in 3/4. =/
Quote by Hergiswi
Walking in 9/8? That's insanity. I can't even walk in 3/4. =/

Yeah it is, and it's pretty fast. However, that's how I do it, if I remember right on the recording the bassist does a quarter note walk with one 8th note every bar. Which is still damn hard, cause it's fairly fast song.
I can't play the verse of "Sleep Now In The Fire" by Rage Against The machine (where it's just drums and bass). By no means is it hard, or even technical, but personally I can't do it. You need to play it like sixteen times in a row, and I usually get lost after six or seven times. Not sure why.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
The main riff in 'come as you are' took me waaay to long to learn...
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
i found the intro to war pigs kinda hard to rememb er, i didnt have any trouble with timing or what now its jsut long

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Ive come across the problem of reach more than anything because I dont use my pinky because it locks up....
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Right now I'm finding Bicycle Race by Queen to be hard, it's not that technical, it's just quite all over the place (at least compared to what I usually play) and it's posing a real challenge