Are noise gates worth my money if im just guna use in practice?

I do not perform but i hate the hums and whirrs and general feedback that my yamaha pacifica/korg ax15000g/kustom 12-40w combination makes at home. Ive seen one for £15 uk sterling, and if they work i think they'd be worth it.

Opinions
?
One that cheap would probably eat up all of your tone.

Is your guitar shielded?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Click.

The.

Link.
Quote by utsapp89
It makes your guitar quieter.

Try doing it .
Quote by utsapp89
Well then you should make sure it's all shielded

And yes - i'm willing to bet that a £15 noise gate will suck your tone horribly dry
However much it costs to buy the materials to shield your guitar .
Quote by utsapp89
is the £15 one a behringer? coz thats widely known to make your tone sound ****e.

The Isp Decimater seems to be the fave round here, not sure how much it is tho.
You guys aren't answering his question - he wants to know if he should buy a noisegate, not how to mod his guitar.

If you want a noise surpressor, the ISP decimator or Boss NS2 are ok. I also don't think they are necessary if you are just practicing, but I'd understand if you want one to make your pedalboard look cooler.
Last edited by pos69sum at Aug 20, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
However much it costs to buy the materials to shield your guitar .
It cost me a 40 cent roll of electrical tape and a 2 dollar roll of kitchen aluminium foil to shield my Squier. Worked wonders.

But it won't make too much difference with the threadstarters noobtastic rig.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
if you dont like the hum and bull**** noises then yes anything to take them away is worth it. Decimator is the best one its 120 USD i dont know what it is in Sterling i know UK guys have them someone will answer that
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Do you have a decent cable? A decent one will reduce the noise by a lot.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.