Hello,

I'm wondering if there are practice amps (with low wattage) of better quality than normal practice amps. e.g.: I saw that there's the mini collosal peavey amp. It's not cheap, but is it indeed much better?

Willem
theres a crate palamino tube amp thats like 8 watts
and then theres always the epic epiphone vavle jr
I don't like as i lay dying
Vox Valvtronix 15-watt. Great amp.
And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
Are these amps better than the 'rest' of the practice amps? The problem is, I would like to have a new amp, but I only practice in my room, so 50 watts and more is just to much (I won't be able to use al that power).
The Vox Pwns all of those amps imo.
And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
Orange Tiny Terror - sweet little thing. 7 or 12 watt switchable. Fantastic tone. (obviously depends on what style/type of music you want to play)

Amps are all about how they sound not how much power they have. I was asking this same question a while back about decent small amps and thats what people said to me ... and they were soooo right!

I decided on the Orange TT as it sounds the way i want, it's the right power etc for me and it is good for the style of music i play. What style of music do you want to play?

Your best bet is to get a load of recommendations from the knowledgable people in these forums, then read some reviews on the net, then go and try 2 or 3 out in the shop etc. That way you will know what you want before you buy it and also you will know if it sounds good to your ears and you're not just getting it because someone else says it is good.

My recommendation would be to look into the Orange Tiny Terror
Quote by philjay
*Picks up TT like handbag and smacks you over the head like an angry granny *
Try that with your rocker 30

Latest Songs & Poems

[thread="1404112"] Blaze (Music)[/thread]
[thread="1207211"] Evening Sunshine (Music)[/thread]
[thread="899566"] To Wonder (Music)[/thread]
[thread="960046"]Dreams[/thread]
The Vox mentioned isn't a tube. Doesn't respond or saturate at the power stage like them.

Quote by Willem V.
Are these amps better than the 'rest' of the practice amps? The problem is, I would like to have a new amp, but I only practice in my room, so 50 watts and more is just to much (I won't be able to use al that power).

Yes, they are. They're pretty simple, in that they don't have features...But these are are great little tube amps. They respond very well to pedals, unlike some modeling amps, respond to your picking dynamics well, and when you drive them hard, they get some great power tube saturation.

Quote by Qazo
Orange Tiny Terror - sweet little thing. 7 or 12 watt switchable. Fantastic tone. (obviously depends on what style/type of music you want to play)

Amps are all about how they sound not how much power they have. I was asking this same question a while back about decent small amps and thats what people said to me ... and they were soooo right!

I decided on the Orange TT as it sounds the way i want, it's the right power etc for me and it is good for the style of music i play. What style of music do you want to play?

Your best bet is to get a load of recommendations from the knowledgable people in these forums, then read some reviews on the net, then go and try 2 or 3 out in the shop etc. That way you will know what you want before you buy it and also you will know if it sounds good to your ears and you're not just getting it because someone else says it is good.

My recommendation would be to look into the Orange Tiny Terror

Ah, the tiny terror!
It's switchable from 7 to 15, actually, sir.

It'll be a little bit more expensive than the other tube combos mentioned, because it's a head, and then you'd need a cab. Plus, it's already a good deal expensive, just as a head, as compared to the other amps. 15 is too much for bedroom practice, anyway.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 20, 2007,
the voxes actually respond very well to picking dynamics and changes with the volume knob. and the reason for using the preamp tube in the power amp is because of its limited headroom, so it actually saturates very quickly.
Quote by TehJermie
the voxes actually respond very well to picking dynamics and changes with the volume knob. and the reason for using the preamp tube in the power amp is because of its limited headroom, so it actually saturates very quickly.

I dunno, my friend's Vox isn't as sensitive to my picking dynamics as my Traynor..Its definitely more responsive than normal SS amps, but not like a tube.
I forgot to mention this: I play heavy metal, like Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc...
ironically the most responsive(i know i will get hell for this) was this really old solid state amp. i use the blackface model of the 15 watt vox for practicing and it compares very favorably to my "big" amp.
^Cool. That's quite a find. Yeah, I mean those Vox amps sound great, no doubt.

Quote by Willem V.
I forgot to mention this: I play heavy metal, like Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc...

Ah, then maybe these low wattage tube amps aren't for you. Most of these are voiced for classic rock. You might be better off with something like a Roland Cube.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Cool. That's quite a find. Yeah, I mean those Vox amps sound great, no doubt.

yeah, it was very cool. point to point! and it didnt suffer from the turn it up = worse syndrome. trying to get ahold of one.

i know its been mentioned that the valvetronix arent a full tube amp, but you might want to try these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VTXL-15W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483003
Last edited by TehJermie at Aug 20, 2007,
Ok, but a Roland is more a normal practice, isn't it? If I would buy a new guitar (I'm playing an Ibanez 370dx for the moment), the amp would have to support that new guitar (and more expensive) guitar completely.
i have no trouble with the micro cube
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
conford hell cat.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
yeah.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yes, the cube is a good, normal practice amp. But I want a practice amp of higher quality.
Hey forsaknazrael you are indeed right i meant 7-15 switchable!!!

Thinks of witty come back ... fails ... d'oh!!!!!

Officially i am a retard!!!
Quote by philjay
*Picks up TT like handbag and smacks you over the head like an angry granny *
Try that with your rocker 30

Latest Songs & Poems

[thread="1404112"] Blaze (Music)[/thread]
[thread="1207211"] Evening Sunshine (Music)[/thread]
[thread="899566"] To Wonder (Music)[/thread]
[thread="960046"]Dreams[/thread]
^ it's all good.

Quote by Willem V.
yes, the cube is a good, normal practice amp. But I want a practice amp of higher quality.

Well, be prepared to shell out some major cash for some boutique amp that'll do metal on its own.

Actually, I just thought of something...
A modded Valve Junior has plenty of gain.
Talk to this guy:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/call1800ksmyazz/
http://www.stowned.se/affectronix/home.html

I got a Marshall voiced one for 300 bucks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^ it's all good.

Well, be prepared to shell out some major cash for some boutique amp that'll do metal on its own.

Actually, I just thought of something...
A modded Valve Junior has plenty of gain.
Talk to this guy:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/call1800ksmyazz/
http://www.stowned.se/affectronix/home.html

I got a Marshall voiced one for 300 bucks.

shame less plug azrael? at least it's for kerry.

he does make great **** though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

THe TT is da BOMB son.

But seriously, you can always get to more overdrive with pedalsso I would reckommend the TT because it can gig too..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Originally Posted by Willem V.

Mesa Express? Switchable between 5 & 25 or 50 watts, two channels, spring reverb ... it is certainly more expensive. The jury's out whether it is higher quality
Tech21 Tri-A.C. thru. studio monitors.
- 3 programmable switches that store drive, eq, level, Mesa, FDR or Marshall via SS rather than digital. More accurate than virtual modeling. Needs a pedal for full metal.

These sound best thru. PA's or KYB amps. Pretty much something full range that won't add any color.

I use the FDR AmpCan(6" spkr.), ideal for street performers. It offers full sound as it's in a super HD sealed tube. Loud enough at 2 to start considering others. Needs a spkr. upgrade as 2.5 and above doesn't handle the bass well, lest you cut input level.

Gtr>OD>Tri-AC>Delay>powered studio monitor. 3 channels, find that in an anemic mini-amp.
The mesa boogie express seems very cool, but it's certainly to expensive.
And what about the Ibanez Valbee?
I'm gonna get the Palomino V8 today. I just gotta make sure that in my excitement I check where the amp is made and hopefully it is a U.S. made one since the vietnam ones are lower quality.
cornford hurricane. it's sublime.

there are loads, frankly. and yes, some of them do sound that good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
peavey windsor combo?

15w's....£230...22/12/2007......

PSN ID: ArranP
Hey I just got a Palomino V8 but is the volume knob there just for looks? Because mine doesn't change the volume and my gain is what changes the volume and therefore the tube saturation. I read in the manual that the volume is for the line out but i'm confused. Is the gain knob acting like a volume knob on purpose and is able to have two functions like this only because it is a small tube amp?