Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience with EMG HZ pickups and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I love the tone, but the palm mutes are weak, hollow and just really not all the crunch at all that I would expect from this high gain amp. I have ordered active 81/85's because I know that EMG HZ are passive and have really low output. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this same problem with passive EMGs or any other pickups and what you did to resolve. I read a few other posts that said to put a tube screamer or ds1 in front of the amp, but if I can get away with just using an active pickup I would prefer to do it that way because I love the natural tone and gain of this amp.
You really don't need any kind of outside boost with a dual recto.. try an EQ.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
That leads me to another question, I have never messed with an EQ pedal, but whats the need? How does an EQ pedal differ from the EQ dials on the amp? I have read alot of posts that talk about getting an EQ pedal, but I am curious how they work above and beyond the onboard EQ? Thanks so much for the help
Jackson DXMGT
EMG 81/85 Pickups

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3 Channel

Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss RV-5 Reverb
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Fender PT-100
Well if you think about the signal that goes through the amp or through the pedal, the EQ in the amp will shape that tone to however you want, if the signal is then passed through the EQ pedal - the original signal you dialled in from your amp will then be allowed to be shaped further, you can boost or cut any frequencies, high mids and low, you can usually cut or boost the volume and gain as well. They can be useful, not necessary though, it depends how much control over your tone you want!

Also you will LOVE the active EMGs when you get them, i used them with a triple recto and for palm muting there is literally nothing better (that i have heard!)
Diezel, Motherfucker
Damn, that was a good answer, thanks for the help!
Jackson DXMGT
EMG 81/85 Pickups

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3 Channel

Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss RV-5 Reverb
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Fender PT-100