anyone have any experience with Galveston basses? I found one at the pawn shop for $195 (i'll get it for less i'm sure) and it feels decent and sounds alright but I've never heard of them.

I play guitar so I'm only really buying it for home recording and possibly for a side project, but I don't want to buy crap.

If you've ever owned one or know about them let me know what's up
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
according to harmony central, they're quite nice for the money.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Galveston is a generic name brand that's put on dozens of different instruments from dozens of countries. I have a mandolin that's made in China that's really crappy called Galveston. However, the Korean plant that makes Dean basses also makes basses called Galvestion. Galveston basses are good as freak instruments (i.e. double necks, ERB's, 8/12 string), but I wouldn't think a normal 4 string Galveston bass would be worth getting.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I almost bought a 6 string Galveston for the sake of having a 6 string.
I bought a guitar instead.

The moral of this story is I asked around much like you are now, and I believe it was Asomodai who put the final pin and said Galveston sucks.
I still haven't played on one, but although you may suggest there are positive reviews out there, I had never heard good things.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
thanx,
I just found an Ibanez SR series (I can't remember which off hand) with active pups and a nice thin neck for $100 more so I'll get that instead
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by UtBDan
I almost bought a 6 string Galveston for the sake of having a 6 string.
I bought a guitar instead.

The moral of this story is I asked around much like you are now, and I believe it was Asomodai who put the final pin and said Galveston sucks.
I still haven't played on one, but although you may suggest there are positive reviews out there, I had never heard good things.

Its hard to say.

They do a commendable job at providing a Unpaired 8 string bass at such a small price. Its alot of bass for little money.

Unless you were going for the unpaired 8 just to get an unpaired 8, I wouldnt get a galveston.

It was a good experiment and let me know that an 8 string was one string too many

All i remember is that the sound was muddy, It was VERY heavy. The nut was the poorest nut i have ever seen cut. It got lots of wows at gigs But nothing much else.