Page 1 of 3
So Just for kicks I checked out the line up on the new John Lennon Tribute Compilation.
I'm Gonna Kill Someone
First off there are emo corporate rock ***** bands which is alot of what Lennon stood against. It, Here's the line up

Instant Karma 3:13 U2
#9 Dream 4:38 R.E.M.
Mother 4:47 Christina Aguilera featuring BigElf
Give Peace a Chance (Featuring Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars) 4:34 Aerosmith featuring Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars
Cold Turkey 4:41 Lenny Kravitz
Whatever Gets You Thru the Night 3:35 Los Lonely Boys
I'm Losing You 4:00 Corinne Bailey Rae
Gimme Some Truth (Featuring Dhani Harrison) 3:52 Jakob Dylan featuring Dhani Harrison
Oh, My Love 2:39 Jackson Browne
Imagine 3:12 Avril Lavigne
Nobody Told Me 3:30 Big & Rich
Jealous Guy 3:59 Youssou N'dour
Working Class Hero 4:25 Green Day
Power to the People 3:33 Black Eyed Peas
Imagine 3:39 Jack Johnson
Beautiful Boy 3:48 Ben Harper
Isolation 2:36 Snow Patrol
Watching the Wheels 3:18 Matisyahu
Grow Old With Me 2:29 The Postal Service
Gimme Some Truth 3:07 Jaguares
(Just Like) Starting Over 3:35 The Flaming Lips
God (Featuring Mick Fleetwood) 4:20 Jack's Mannequin featuring Mick Fleetwood
Real Love 3:56 Regina Spektor
Instant Karma 3:56 Duran Duran
Jealous Guy 4:07 Deftones
Mind Games 4:13 Gavin Rossdale
Oh, My Love 3:20 Yellowcard
Crippled Inside 4:06 Widespread Panic
Borrowed Time 5:55 O.A.R.
Woman 3:41 Ben Jelen
Imagine 3:16 Me'Shell Ndegeocello
Well Well Well 5:00 Rocky Dawuni
Mother 6:03 Emmanuel Jal
I Don't Wanna Face It 2:49 The Fab Faux

Now Some of these just piss me off to no end Like Avril Lavine doing Imagine and Yellowcard doing oh my love. Also there are a decent amount of doubles which is kinda sad. Is anyone else just tired of these crappy tribute compilations in general I mean who in their rigt mind would listen to some of this crap when you could just listen to the actual genius do it. Now some of these are kinda cool such as the flaming lips version of just like starteing over but still it kinda bugs. Anyone else have any thoughts.
The Flaming Lips, Postal Service and R.E.M. are cool the rest are meh.
Dude, Youssou'N'Dour is the shit.

But what did you expect? Lennon is a mainstream figure and the major labels will do anything for extra cash.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by paintITblack39
Yes! Avril covered Imagine

+1
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I read that but all I saw was "WHAAAAAGGGGHHHH WHAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH"

If you're gonna kill someone do it but stop whining.

And I know someone's gonna get mad at me for saying this, but I like Green Day's version of Working Class Hero. Not as much as the original but it's still good.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Um. Why is Avril Lavigne on there. Why don't they just go dig up his body, impale him on a flag pole, and let his rotting corpse hang there for three days. That would be less insulting that letting her do one of his covers.

Other than that, some of those bands made me go "wtf", but others aren't too awful. I like Jack's Mannequin.
This is a horrible nightmare. My god I don't really have the words to express how bad this album looks.

There are some good ones on there but the bad ones are so bad that the evil just kills.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Boohoo, how horrendous that some of the bands that admire(d) John Lennon don't fit in with your personal music tastes
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
um, I'm not sure but I believe the profits from this album (obviousely not all) go to help people in Darfur. I think John Lennon would be a terrible person if he didn't like these people covering his songs purely because they are "mainstream" if it is helping less fortunate people.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by Yakult
Boohoo, how horrendous that some of the bands that admire(d) John Lennon don't fit in with your personal music tastes

It's not that I might not like Duran Duran that much but I respect them because I know they're music and it has some similar sounds, same with the lips but if Green day admired Lennon they have a funny way of showing it by playing crappy and uninteresting music and falling right into the corporate scene.
jealous guy by the deftones intrigues me....
avril lavigne and greenday are absolutley abysmal. **** tributes whats the point? what are they gonna make it better? theyre just re-doing. crappifying. its like the south park about george lucas and raiders of the lost ark.
Quote by Dr.Jimmy
It's not that I might not like Duran Duran that much but I respect them because I know they're music and it has some similar sounds, same with the lips but if Green day admired Lennon they have a funny way of showing it by playing crappy and uninteresting music and falling right into the corporate scene.

did you not see my post. It helps fight the poverty in darfur (I checked it definitely does). Ok now if you still have a problem with these artists covering the songs of a man they are inspired and influenced by, and also helping people who live in a hell then you are one of the most despicable human beings I haver ever had the displeasure of encountering.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

yellowcard and avril lavigne......
If you want to shine like the sun first you must burn like it.
Jack johnson will play a great imagine, every thing else will get burned.
Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Billie Joe is a really good guitarist, Green Day is like the best shred band around.

^Fails.
Quote by zero27
yellowcard and avril lavigne......

..... are succsesfull bands which proves people must enjoy their music.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

well, Worst Magazine of the Millenium (Rolling Stone) did say that Lennon would be proud, so idk.
Are you gonna bark all day like a little doggie, or are you gonna bite?

But, in all seriousness, I could care less. If they found influence from Lennon, like most musicians do whether you realize it or not, then let them show it.

They're just as worthy as anyone else. I may not like most of the artists on that list, but I'm not going to listen to it anyway, so I'm not affected.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by gibsonpenguin
+1 to Yakult and leeb rocks

he said my name. you are the first UGer to say my name..... I love you.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

Regina Spektor
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
The Beatles/Lennon were one of the biggest mainstream bands, of course mainstream bands will cover them, duh.
Page 1 of 3