Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this is.

I was thinking about buying a epiphone les paul standard off ebay. My main concern is that the guitar is a fake. What are some recommendations about buying guitars off ebay? Anyone have like a suggested sellers list?

I am looking at the following guitars:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-by-Gibson-Les-Paul-nice-flametop-case_W0QQitemZ170140911585QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170140911585
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Epiphone-Les-Paul-Std-Plus-Top-Guitar-Honey_W0QQitemZ110160520013QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110160520013
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lay-Away-2007-Gibson-Epiphone-Les-Paul-standard-PLus_W0QQitemZ330156584032QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330156584032

Thanks.
they look real but i just kinda skimmed over them. you could email the seller asking for the serial number to try to cross check it with Gibbys Database.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
dontdontdont
epis for that much?
look at orville's (gibsons made in japan, way better then epis)
Burnys, Grecos and Edwards
all of these rape epis and for about the same price on Ebay
My rule of thumb is, if you cant play before you pay don't buy.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Yes, I have been using the daterproject site to check the serial numbers of these guitars. What do you guys think of the first and 3rd ones? Do they look real? I will be asking the sellers for better pictures of the guitars.

Another question to epiphone owners: What does this factory 2nd stamp/used stamp look like? And, What is that thing that looks like a screw at the bottom of the les paul's neck? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170140911585&indexURL=4&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
Last edited by VoodooChildx at Aug 20, 2007,
Not sure what screw your talking about...are you talking about where you hook the guitar strap on?...just wondering.

I would probably order a guitar from that Guitar City auction...I dont really like the pics they did though...they are to blury and its hard to tell what the finish looks like on that guitar.

I like the look of the guitar in the first auction as well however i dont like plastic tuning keys...had an old gibson les paul studio years ago and had to replace those plastic tuning keys because one broke.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
never seen a screw like that in that place before...seems odd...maybe its another guitar strap thingy.

odd though.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Quote by D_Vincent
never seen a screw like that in that place before...seems odd...maybe its another guitar strap thingy.

odd though.

You're right. It is for a Guitar strap. A previous owner was probably a lefty. That is a good place to put a strap holder. I did the same thing with my current guitar that has a bolt on neck. I just pulled a screw and secured a strap fastener to it. The previous owner did the same thing but he screwed it directly into the wood.
Quote by VoodooChildx
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this is.

I was thinking about buying a epiphone les paul standard off ebay. My main concern is that the guitar is a fake. What are some recommendations about buying guitars off ebay? Anyone have like a suggested sellers list?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lay-Away-2007-Gibson-Epiphone-Les-Paul-standard-PLus_W0QQitemZ330156584032QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330156584032

Thanks.

I bought 2 guitars from this listed seller..he is great to deal with and never had any problems..I will buy all my Epi's from him.
i bought an epi-g400 off of ebay as well as a whole lot of other stuff. if you ever buy anything off of ebay- whether it be a book, guitar, or a cd, if it ever comes not in the condition as it was listed..... its mail fraud.

so no worries
dude by the epiphone off of zzounds for $450
GuItArS
Epiphone Les PAul StandarD

AmPs
Line 6 Spider III 120

group http://

group join if u want Ug hockey fans
So far I have had great luck on Ebay. I did get sent the wrong guitar once and the seller sent a request and they came and returned the guitar and sent me the right one.

As far as knockoffs go sometimes it's hard to tell if you don't see a serial number. I know a guy who got an Epiphone SG from China off Ebay. It came in an Epi box with all the correct paper work and a shipping bill from Epiphone. I guess the tell tale sign was the Serial number. I am not sure how they work but according to my friend it was made in the future by several years. LOL The problem is having stuff made in China is there is no control over the manufacturing. A lot of it is subcontracted so there is no way to stop these companies from making knockoffs using all the same parts and bodies and tooling as they do for the major manufacturers. All they have to do is deliver what is ordered and sell off what they make for themselves they just make up the serial number. This is why there is so much trouble with knockoffs thru China designer handbags is probably one of the largest thinks copied and from what I understand they are all made by the same subcontractors just the quality control is not up to par with the ones they make for the big companies.

Back to the knockoff Epi SG, I hate to say it but from what I saw and the way it played it was still a good deal. It was cheaper than what you would pay for the real deal but it played and sounded fine. We even took it apart just to compare it to a real Epi SG and to tell the truth everything looked the same, Like I said earlier the only thing that tells you it's a knockoff is the numbers.

I do report any auctions on Ebay that look like they are selling a counterfit. Usually the price is too good to be true and the shipping is always way more than the price of the guitar. A Les Paul Custom would never sell for less than $300.00 shipped. It's common sense a lot of the time. I always wonder how satisfied people who did get these guitars are with the knockoffs. I know my friend likes his but he knows it will never be worth much in the future as an Epi but probably more as a knockoff with a serial number that won't exist until the 2030. LOL

One last thing about Ebay. I have bid on several decent guitars that I think I was outbid by Shill bidders. I know this because the guitars were won and resurfaced later from the same seller but the buyer got a positive feedback from the seller. If the person didn't pay for the guitar why would they get ggod feedback. A lot of these Shills only have low feedbacks or just joined Ebay. The last thing is watch for the shipping. A lot of sellers list low Buy it Now prices and nail you on the shipping. Always check the sellers feedback and then shipping policy before you bid.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Sep 20, 2007,
A US seller that sells Chinese copies and lists them as Epis or Gibsons is likely to be taken away in handcuffs. These prices look inline with internet stores so I think they should be real. However, most Sam Ash or Guitar City stores will sell around the same price.