Page 1 of 3
so i did a search on Ds-1 mods, but all i found was the keeley mod, which is a little too heavy for my taste... i want more of a vintage tone which i know the Ds-1 can be modded to produce, but i havent found or heard anything about the mods. so can someone post a link or guide me to a more vintage sounding Ds-1 modification?
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
so i did a search on Ds-1 mods, but all i found was the keeley mod, which is a little too heavy for my taste... i want more of a vintage tone which i know the Ds-1 can be modded to produce, but i havent found or heard anything about the mods. so can someone post a link or guide me to a more vintage sounding Ds-1 modification?

Google is your friend. I think you'll find a LOT of the different mods out there are based off the Keeley mods.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Try doing the Keeley mods then turning down the level and gain.

Really though I don't think that pedal is made for what you want. It has a bit more edge than you want. You should check out Keeley modded Tube Screamers me thinks.
Quote by kurtlives91
Try doing the Keeley mods then turning down the level and gain.

Really though I don't think that pedal is made for what you want. It has a bit more edge than you want. You should check out Keeley modded Tube Screamers me thinks.

oh, well ive seen Frusciante use a ds-1, and two bands at this local club here, and they all had/have a very vintage tone...

i will check out the tube screamers though.
^Keeley mod on a DS1 is very FAT sounding, and pretty vintagey. my friend has one, i repaired it since he wasn't too good with soldering, and i tried it. damn. that thing's pretty decent for a $40 pedal.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
or, the complete DS1 keeley mod? http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/DS1/keeleyds1.htm
would you mind Mr. keeley?

and IMO, two red LEDs on one side, one 1N914 on the other gives really FAT, LIQUIDY, CREAMY, MARSHALLY tone. it's more like overdrive to my ears, than just distortion.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I have a 1N914 and a red LED in series on one side and a red LED on the other and I think it sounds amazing.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Yeah.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Two red LEDs...light emitting diodes? When you pump current through them, they light up? Anode and cathode? Ring any bells?
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Yeah.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
well... theres one LED on the switch on the pic up there. you increase that by one LED.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
No, the little black rectangle is a diode, too.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I'm just using the standard Keeley mods and it sounds pretty damn nice. Very old-school-wall-of-Marshalley distortion.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
0.1uF Capacitor x 5
1uF Capacitor x 4 (or two 0.47uF caps in parallel, it should give the same results)
0.047uF Capacitor x 1
3mm LED x 1 (I bought two so I didn't have to use the one that you take out of the DS-1)
on/on SPDT switch
2.4k Resistor x 1
20k Resistor x 1
1.5k Resistor x 1
220pf Cap x 1
47pf Cap x 1

Are any of those caps electro?
No, they're all non-polarized.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Yeah.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I usually go for 1/4 watt.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Yeah, they're what was on there before.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
lol... ur getting a DS1 just for this?

i mean... i guess it's cool and cost effective... eh. i guess it works.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
in that case yea. you'd get pretty smooth and creamy overdrive kind of tone to harsh edgy distortion from DS1.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Page 1 of 3