i turned on my peavey 212 mace this morning and was greeted by a horrible buzz, and i dont know much about tube amps so i need help locating the problem. heres the information ive gained:

-when flipped to standby, the buzz goes away quickly
-turning down the pregain makes the buzz go away, and turning it up makes the buzz louder (thats why im thinking its a preamp tube, but what do i know)
-turning up and down the postgain does nothing to the buzz
-having my guitar plugged in or not doesnt change the buzz at all, so it isnt anything to do with my guitar
-when barely touching the amp to move it, it makes loud popping and scratching noises out the speakers... it sounds kinda like a loose or faulty wire, that could also be it. but i havent moved it since last i played it, and it sounded fine last time... can wires just go bad randomly?

im borrowing this amp from my mom's boss and its the first tube amp i've got to play with, and ive had it here for about two months and its worked fine until now. i dont really know anything about tubes or tube amps so i need some help... thanks dudes

justin
The sound it makes when you move it is just the reverb wires moving.

But the buzz - yeah, it's a busted preamp tube.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
alright so which one is the preamp tube (dumb question)... is it the one furthest to the right by the little metal box with wires coming out? or is the preamp tube inside said box?
They're the small ones, and I'm pretty sure there are more than one.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
hmm, they must be hiding in said box then.

thanks for the help!
OOPS.

Imma guessing that the little box is the trafo...

Dont touch it.

The preamp tubes are small and sometimes housed in small metal cylinders.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
actually, does anyone know where i can find the wiring diagram for the peavey 212 mace series 320T? i looked everywhere for it, even peavey.com doesnt have it.. then it would show me where they are and stuff.