I'm getting a constant hum coming off of one of my humbuckers, the one I installed myself a few months back. The feedback type noise sounds exactly like when you touch the tip of your finger to a plugged in patch cord.

Is it the pickup? chord? amp (I wouldn't doubt it)? Could it be my distortion pedal?

Help please.

And if it is my pickup would the ground wire(s) likely be the problem?

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
sounds like the amp... but you cant say for sure without testing... use a different amp or guitar if the hum persists... then you know which it is.
Quote by mp3stalin
sounds like the amp... but you cant say for sure without testing... use a different amp or guitar if the hum persists... then you know which it is.

Good idea, I'm gonna have to finish my strat rebuild sooner now.

]
if you play to close to anything with a speaker or magnet it will cause it to hum
Quote by zache57
if you play to close to anything with a speaker or magnet it will cause it to hum

That might be it too, actually. Thanks a lot. I'll post back after I've tested a few things.

]
Would it be that the guitar was too close to the "speaker or magnet" or that the amp was?

]
is it just with that one humbucker or both? or does your guitar only have one?
if its just the one then it couldn't be the amp i don't think
Quote by wannabebassist2
is it just with that one humbucker or both? or does your guitar only have one?
if its just the one then it couldn't be the amp i don't think

There are so many things it could be - first check that all your grounds and correctly soldered. Next, check that you're using a decent quality cable - try a few different cables into your amp on the same settings. Next, are you playing in a room with fluorescent lights, CRT monitors or does your house have faulty wiring?
It could be any of these problems, or a combination of a few. Isolate each one till you find what the problem is.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I'm playing in a room that has a cathode ray tube tv. If the tv isn't on should it still cause the signal interruption?

]
Quote by Salvial
I'm playing in a room that has a cathode ray tube tv. If the tv isn't on should it still cause the signal interruption?

No. Then the TV isn't sending out Electromagnetic waves.

I had the same problem with my guitar a few months ago, but I just replaced a few pots and re-soldered the input and it worked fine.
my guitar did the same thing, switch the wires on the output jack around, it helped me
music=life
everything else is just details
typically humming is associated w/ your grounded wire. did you coil tap it? because when i coil tapped mine, it started to hum for me as well. all i did was solder the ground wire from the pickup switch to the push-pull pot wire, and it stopped humming. here's a great site for this setup, and other wiring schematics: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources/
under "universal & custom designs" and click how many p/u's you have on.