I don't know if it's my strings or the neck on my guitar...
But I just recently put some strings on my guitar and everything i play [ast the 12th-14th fret theres nothing but dead notes like ill pluck the note and it just dies instantly and gives off a metallic sound its messin with my solos!
what kind of guitar, what kind of bridge, and what gauge strings did you put on - also, did you change gauge at all?

the more you tell us, the more we can help you.
what guitar u got? (So i know the bridge type)
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Last edited by BobChicken at Aug 20, 2007,
i think you need to adjust the inotation or something like that...
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Guitar: IbanezRG350EX (Customized with EMG 81/85 pickups)
Bridge: Edge 3 Tremelo
Strings: I.. don't remember I bought them in a small pack the size was

9-11s
You need to use the fine tuning screws on the back of the tremelo and either tighten or loosen them, but just fiddle around and try it out
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Tried tightening the screws on the tremelo didn't work...

Also I notice when I bend a note it immediately cancels and also sounds metallic
My gear

Marshall Lead 15 Ministack
Crate GX600 head (with the cabinet)
Ibanez RG 350EX (Customized with EMG 81-85 pickups)
Washburn (discontinued model)
Esteban Acoustic
Ibanez EW20ASNT
Quote by XxIbanez623xX
Guitar: IbanezRG350EX (Customized with EMG 81/85 pickups)
Bridge: Edge 3 Tremelo
Strings: I.. don't remember I bought them in a small pack the size was

9-11s

You might need to have the truss rod adjusted, or your frets need to be leveled.

I've got a similar problem on my RG7321. i've got 2 dead spots near the 16th and 18th frets. I just don't have the money to take it in to the shop right now.

But take it to any reputable luthier or repair shop and have them do a setup. Should cost about $50-$65 or so (in U.S. dollars).

Fret leveling (if necessary) will cost more (about $200 or so). Beware, most places charge more for doing setup on a Floyd-Rose bridge.
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
Are you sure it may not just be the strings?
My gear

Esteban Acoustic
Ibanez EW20ASNT
Quote by BobChicken
You need to use the fine tuning screws on the back of the tremelo and either tighten or loosen them, but just fiddle around and try it out

Umm...no

How long U been playin' guitar dude?

Those screws are called "fine tuners" because they TUNE the string, not tighten it.
Tightness has more to do with the guage of the string in relation to the tuning.

Besides which tuning the strings is not going to fix the problem of dead notes.
GK 400RB Bass head
Last edited by axe_2_grind at Aug 20, 2007,
sounds like your action is really low, from the buzzing and the strings cutting out during bends, try raising it a tad bit.
3 years

and I'm aware of what they're called I fealt lazy and didn't want to say it.

Hold on.. let me tell you which frets are dead-note

pretty much all of the b string past the 12th fret 9th fret on the D string

I don't get it though like when i do some tapping on the b string its fine but when im plucking a single note it just dies....
My gear

Esteban Acoustic
Ibanez EW20ASNT
Action. Two screws that look like they hold the bridge into the guitar raise them. If it fixes the problem once the strings are worn into the frets a bit you might be able to drop it back down slightly. Or if you leave it higher and you get the same problem again at a later date on these strings or new ones then I would say truss rod.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
I don't see the two screws... have a picture?
My gear

Esteban Acoustic
Ibanez EW20ASNT
Quote by XxIbanez623xX
Are you sure it may not just be the strings?

The only other factor I can think of is that maybe you had a heavier guage of strings, and so the Truss rod was adjusted to handle pull of those strings.

If you went down from say 10's to 9's, the tension on the neck is no longer as great, so the neck may be bowed somewhat backward, thus causing your dead notes.

Adjusting the truss rod is a fairly simple task. Just remove the truss rod cover, and (assuming you have the appropriate wrench) loosen the screw by 1/4 of a turn. No more, no less. Give the neck about 30 minutes or so to acclamate, then re-tune, and check the notes that were giving you trouble.

Be careful not over do this. If you find that you can't get rid of the dead notes, then take it to a professional and have them deal with it. You'll ultimately save yourself some headaches.
GK 400RB Bass head
Quote by 6StringCraig
Action. Two screws that look like they hold the bridge into the guitar raise them. If it fixes the problem once the strings are worn into the frets a bit you might be able to drop it back down slightly. Or if you leave it higher and you get the same problem again at a later date on these strings or new ones then I would say truss rod.

Craig

Good point. Action is definitely another consideration.

The 2 screws in question are located on either side of the bridge, in front of the saddles. On an Ibanez they're allen (hex) screws.
GK 400RB Bass head
Last edited by axe_2_grind at Aug 20, 2007,
Are you talking about the 2 hexagon screws at the top of the neck right before the headstock?

Also AXE 2 GRIND did you get my PM?
My gear

Esteban Acoustic
Ibanez EW20ASNT
Its the truss rod (80% sure.) Best thing to do is get a set up from a qualified tech.