as am researching to buy an electric guitar, i found that cheaper guitars use basswood body, more expensive use maple, and then alder.
is this a true theory?

as for mahogany, well, i dont really know how it ranks!

can some1 explain the different kinds of wood, and how they can affect playing the guitar?
is it that big a deal anyway?
Last edited by tento777 at Aug 20, 2007,
no, jem is made of basswood and squier is made of alder

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by tento777
is this a true theory?
No.

Here.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I use a Westfield Les Paul copy made of Mahogany, and I swear to God, it sounds EXACTLY the same as my friend's Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Thick-ass mahogany FTW.

BTW that theory is bull****
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
yes Wood effects your guitars sound and tone quality in the most important way
it makes the difference between crystal clear and just plain muddy
mahogany is the best being used in this era but its not the best wood in the 50's-70's they had used better wood for their guitars like Oak and guitars cost a lot less back then due to economic reasons,pre-inflation, and of course the companies reputations werent as big as they are now

but yeah thats that
basswood is good for heavy leads meaning it lacks tone depth or clarity
alder has good clarity
agathis is just a bit below mahogany and is usually being made with guitars that cost less which only really means that you only need to replace the pickups nothing else

maple tends to be deep in tone very warm extremely durable but very heavy at the same time its more than often used in necks as you probably already know

you can look up the info on the bc rich website if you want to know more descriptive info on this type of thing
Quote by p.stick
no, jem is made of basswood and squier is made of alder

No, no, no.

JEMs are made of alder. Cheaper Ibanezes are made of basswood. Check your facts, son.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by tento777
as am researching to buy an electric guitar, i found that cheaper guitars use basswood body, more expensive use maple, and then alder.
is this a true theory?

as for mahogany, well, i dont really know how it ranks!

can some1 explain the different kinds of wood, and how they can affect playing the guitar?
is it that big a deal anyway?

personally id sugges tto buy an ESP
but this is of course based off of my completely biased opinion
i love esp
go for something thats not basswood if buying online look for whatever looks great to you
because you cant exactly hear what it sounds like unless you have a guitar store near you who just so happens to have it as well that is.
Quote by demonsqueeky
yes Wood effects your guitars sound and tone quality in the most important way
it makes the difference between crystal clear and just plain muddy
mahogany is the best being used in this era but its not the best wood in the 50's-70's they had used better wood for their guitars like Oak and guitars cost a lot less back then due to economic reasons,pre-inflation, and of course the companies reputations werent as big as they are now

but yeah thats that
basswood is good for heavy leads meaning it lacks tone depth or clarity
alder has good clarity
agathis is just a bit below mahogany and is usually being made with guitars that cost less which only really means that you only need to replace the pickups nothing else

maple tends to be deep in tone very warm extremely durable but very heavy at the same time its more than often used in necks as you probably already know

you can look up the info on the bc rich website if you want to know more descriptive info on this type of thing

Basswood has tone, depth and clarity. Ibanez Universe, PGMs, JS1200s anyone?

Maple is bright, not dark.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by binjajer
No, no, no.

JEMs are made of alder. Cheaper Ibanezes are made of basswood. Check your facts, son.

I'm fairly certain the most expensive post-87 Ibanez is made of basswood (maybe it's the chrome JS2, maybe it's the DNA swirl JEMs). The majority of JEMs are made of basswood (aside from the 7V). Universes are made of basswood. JS series (with rare exceptions) are made of basswood.

But you get points for condescension, dontcha?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
appreciate ur responses,...

am thinking of a Jackson DXMG (alder),... but since am no expert with floyd rose bridges, am going tomorrow to check Godin guitars at a local store,... i hear they're good!
Quote by tento777
appreciate ur responses,...

am thinking of a Jackson DXMG (alder),... but since am no expert with floyd rose bridges, am going tomorrow to check Godin guitars at a local store,... i hear they're good!

Take a read at this thread before you decide on the jackson. washburn X50pro has a hard tail bridge

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647856

Quote by KileManA7X

It's duncan designed... Nothing like the real thing...

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
It's duncan designed... Nothing like the real thing...

oh,... i see....
thanx for the tip!

so what would u recommend? something low budget, but still good?

am checking the ESP LTDs, but most of the pickups used am not familiar with,... so dont really know how good they are!! (except for EMG and Seymore Duncan)
what do you play? that's the most important question. And do you want a trem?

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
what do you play? that's the most important question. And do you want a trem?

metal,... mostly metallica stuff...

am a beginner, and a trem is not important now!

a friend of mine has an ESP LTD KH-202,.. its pretty good,.. but then i wanna stay away from the floyd rose bridges
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar?sku=518187

This OR

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516662

(Get the sunburst with the Seymour duncan)

And some advice on the ones to avoid: Lower end ESP >200 (including the KH202), bc rich guitars and some other guitars with agathis body

Quote by KileManA7X

dude...try to stay away from basswood...all these people are talking about basswood JEMS,but that is Satriani designed,he does alot of great,and crazy things,and his concepts are very experimental,radical,ect...but he sure does a good job.
stick with alder or mahogany,or maple.my jackson has a maple neck and body,with alder wings to give it the V-shape.the 1 piece maple through it sounds good.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
also,try to avoid agathis...there are many BC Rich guitars made of it,and they sound like ****. hell, stay away from BC's.many guys like them,but those are the 2000 buck ones.bc's give u a bad reputation as far as i'm concerned, its certainly not a good thing to try to get into a band by saying "i have a sweet bronze series warlock"plz heed my advice,i'll probably get flamed for this,but oh well...good luck!
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
The JEM is most definitely not designed by Satriani. And neither Satriani or Vai is really all that far out there- basswood is perfectly good.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
It's not as much the type of wood but the quality of wood.

A Squire made of alder and a Carvin made of alder (all carvin's before customizing are alder) are going to sound different even if they had the same electronics, neck, and body (which they woudln't) just because Carvin uses higher quality woods than Squire.

Same with Epiphone Mahogany and Gibson Mahogany.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
p.stick

No, sorry . At Sweetwater for sale ( I just bought one to stick some Zexcoils into): "Squier Deluxe Strat - Pearl White
Solidbody Electric Guitar with Basswood Body, Maple Neck, Maple Fingerboard, and 3 Single-coil Pickups - Pearl White".
Here is a fun thing to do. Go to a lumber store that sells planks of alder, basswood, maple and mahogany. Dont know how hard that will be but here it is fairly easy to find trim boards out on the floor at a home improvement store. Anyway just hold them up to your ear and knock on them and pick the one that sounds the nicest.
Wow 2007. Theyve probably invented a new kind of wood by now
Last edited by geo-rage at Feb 26, 2017,