My distortion sounds funny when I switch strings, its difficult to explain, but it sounds all muddy and sorta tremolo-y. Say, I'm playing the part of the first solo of fade to black:
|----------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------7----------|
|--------------------------------------------7-(7)---------|
|--------------------------------------/-9-----------9-----|
After the slide, when i play the three notes after that in succession, it sounds like crap, its not articulate and clear, like I hear other people playing it. Is this a problem with my amp or with my technique? Do I need to mute the previous string everytime I pick a different note on a different string?
What kind of amp do you have? A cheap starter amp that comes with a guitar in a package doesn't articulate well when the gain is high.
Most likely its all your settings, like whats your guitar. what pickups are you using where is your volume at and tone knobs set to? what amp? whats all the settings on that. you have to be a little more precise to figure these things out
|
Mexican strat and a microcube. R-fier setting gain at 8-10, tone is usually less than 3-4, volume at like 3-ish.. All single coils...
Might be the single coil hum making your notes sound muddy. Single coils aren't the greatest for metal.
Unlike all these others I think it may very well be your technique; it sounds to me like you're letting the notes ring into each other which would be why you end up with a mess rather than a solo, you will need to mute the notes you're played when they're not supposed to be ringing, especially at high-gain.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
intonation, string action, problem with your saddles or maybe it's your technique..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

You could be hearing "beats" - when two notes are slightly out of tune you get interference between the two sound waves that manifests itself as an oscillation in the sound. You can use them as an aid to tuning by ear.

However, it could simply be that you're playing with too much gain.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Is it possible that I've been letting my notes "bleed" into each other? Ive changed my technique so that I mute the previous string every time I move onto another string and it sounds fine that way...
Yes, if it sounds right now then you can be pretty sure that nothing is wrong with your guitar. Always assume something is wrong with your technique before you assume something is wrong with your guitar and spend money on "fixing" it.
Yes when playing high gain make sure you don't let anything ring out, and make sure you are perfectly in tune. I'd learn harmonic tuning, you can use those beats like steven seagull said really well there.
Quote by asuh88
Is it possible that I've been letting my notes "bleed" into each other? Ive changed my technique so that I mute the previous string every time I move onto another string and it sounds fine that way...

If it sounds fine with muting then that was the problem, note bleed at high gain is a horrible thing unless it's intentional.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Unlike all these others I think it may very well be your technique; it sounds to me like you're letting the notes ring into each other which would be why you end up with a mess rather than a solo, you will need to mute the notes you're played when they're not supposed to be ringing, especially at high-gain.

I get this too. Its just something that you cant do with a lot of Dist.